Synonyms can be nouns, verbs, adverbs or adjectives, but both words must be of the same part of speech. That means, only a noun can be a synonym of another noun, only a verb can be a synonym of another verb, and so on.
Some words are near-synonyms, which have similar but not exactly the same meaning.
Examples of proper nouns, such as names of these languages, having synonyms or near-synonyms include:
History[change | change source]
The word "synonym" dates back over 500 years, to late Middle English. The term is derived from Latin from the Greek word sunōnumon, neuter form (used as a noun) of the adjective sunōnumos, from sun- meaning 'with' + onoma meaning 'name' in the Greek language.
The meaning of the word has remained unchanged for all these centuries. There is even a saying, going back to 1892, "Once a synonym, always a synonym". The word has been taught to generations of English-language students and is commonly known by the general public. Many other languages have a similar word for "synonym" with the same or similar spelling.
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- Definition of synonym from Oxford Dictionaries Online. OxfordDictionaries.com, 2011. web: OD-syn Archived 2011-06-03 at the Wayback Machine.
- Synonym - Definition and more from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary. 2011. webpage: MW-syn.
- "Another word for make".
- Hudak, Thomas John. "Thai." The world's major languages. Routledge, 2018. 679-695.
- Rana, Toqir A., et al. "An Unsupervised Approach for Sentiment Analysis on Social Media Short Text Classification in Roman Urdu." Transactions on Asian and Low-Resource Language Information Processing 21.2 (2021): 1-16.
- Ghosh, Sujit. "Khas-kura Nepali and Cultural Consolidation in Darjeeling Hills: A Genesis." (2015).
- Laka Mugarza, Itziar. A brief grammar of Euskara, the Basque language. Universidad del País Vasco, Euskal Herriko Unibertsitatea, Euskarazko Errektoreordetza, 1996.
- Leap, William L. American Indian English. University of Utah Press, 2012.
- Farhady, Hossein, and Kobra Tavassoli. "Assessing Farsi." The companion to language assessment 4 (2013): 1790-1798.
- ROSS, ANDREW J. "Supplement to the Burmese (Myanmar) amber checklist and bibliography, 2020." Palaeoentomology 4.1 (2021): 057-076.
- Science, John Michels, American Association for the Advancement of Science, 1892, page 220, web: BG-AJ.