|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|• Mayor||Timothy Svoboda|
|• Total||0.18 sq mi (0.5 km2)|
|• Land||0.18 sq mi (0.5 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,424 ft (434 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||620/sq mi (240/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (CST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|FIPS code||20-70000 |
|GNIS ID||0477122 |
History[change | change source]
The Golden Belt Town Company filed the plat for Tampa in 1887. The city name is said to have been suggested by a railroad engineer who rode one of the first trains through Tampa. Tampa was incorporated as a city in 1908.
A post office was created in Tampa on April 17, 1888.
Geography[change | change source]
People[change | change source]
|U.S. Decennial Census|
2010 census[change | change source]
Economy[change | change source]
Education[change | change source]
Media[change | change source]
- Hillsboro Free Press, free newspaper for greater Marion County area.
- The Herington Times, newspaper from Herington.
- The Salina Journal, regional newspaper from Salina.
References[change | change source]
- Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) details for Tampa, Kansas; United States Geological Survey (USGS); October 13, 1978.
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2012-07-02. Retrieved 2012-07-06.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-07-06.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "HughesNet Gen4 Internet – Unlimited Satellite Internet – Skyways". skyways.org. Retrieved 4 September 2015.
- "2010 City Population and Housing Occupancy Status". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved March 6, 2011.
- "Rock Island's Family Tree – Page 4". covad.net. Retrieved 4 September 2015.
- Marion County Kansas, Past and Present; Sondra Van Meter; 1972.
- Blackmar, Frank Wilson (1912). Kansas: A Cyclopedia of State History, Volume 2. Standard Publishing Company. p. 796.
- "Kansas Post Offices, 1828–1961 (archived)". Kansas Historical Society. Archived from the original on October 9, 2013. Retrieved 14 June 2014.
- Tampa State Bank
- Tampa Cafe
- "Centre". usd397.com. Retrieved 4 September 2015.
- Kansas School District Boundary Map Archived 2011-07-21 at the Wayback Machine
More reading[change | change source]
- A History of Tampa, Kansas, and Its Environs, 1887–1987; Tampa Centennial Committee; 1986.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tampa, Kansas.|
- Tampa - Official, archive of former website
- Tampa - Directory of Public Officials, League of Kansas Municipalities
- USD 397, Centre school district for Lincolnville, Lost Springs, Pilsen, Tampa, Ramona, Antelope, Burdick, nearby rural areas of Marion / Morris / Dickinson / Chase Counties
- USD 397 School District Boundary Map, KDOT
- 1968 photo of Tampa Rock Island Depot
- Marion County cemetery list, archive of KsGenWeb
- Marion County history bibliography, Marion County school bibliography, Kansas Historical Society
- Tampa City Map, KDOT
- Topo Map of Tampa / Durham / Ramona / Dillon / Elmo area, USGS
- Marion County Maps: Current, Historic, KDOT