|Tagline(s)||Once In A Lifetime|
|Promotion||World Wrestling Entertainment|
|Date||April 1, 2012|
|Venue||Sun Life Stadium|
|City||Miami Gardens, Florida|
WrestleMania XXVIII was the twenty-eighth yearly WrestleMania professional wrestling pay-per-view (PPV) event made by World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE). It took place at Sun Life Stadium in the Miami suburb of Miami Gardens, Florida.
Production[change | change source]
The city of Miami was one of the two major contenders for hosting WrestleMania XXVII along with Atlanta, Georgia. In the end in February 2010, Atlanta was awarded the right to host the event. According to the Miami-Dade Sports Commission, WWE management felt that Miami's planning for the event would have been too hectic with many other sporting events held in the area around the same time of the planning, such as Super Bowl XLIV. However, Miami was reportedly considered for the next event due to its international ties, arenas, airports and experience of hosting past major events.
Bidding documents were sent to seventeen cities in mind for hosting a WrestleMania event between 2012 and 2014, with fourteen replying in interest. Other cities in mind for WrestleMania XXVIII were Los Angeles, New Orleans, New York City, Toronto, Detroit, Tampa, Vancouver, St. Louis, Jacksonville, Orlando and Houston. The city of Dallas also showed interest but had to pull out of bidding for the next two years due to hosting events such as the NCAA Final Four.
On February 9, 2011, it was announced by The Miami Herald that Miami had won the right to host the event. WWE would later officially announce the event in a press conference held at the Fontainebleau Miami Beach. WrestleMania XXVIII will be the second event to be hosted in the state of Florida, the fourth event without a closed roof, and the third event to be held entirely outdoors. For hosting the event, WWE will receive a $250,000 cash incentive from the Miami-Dade Sports Commission raised through grants and sponsorships. Along with WrestleMania XXVIII, a series of events grouped as "WrestleMania Week" will be held in the week before the event including WrestleMania's yearly WrestleMania Axxess fan convention at the Miami Beach Convention Center, the 2012 WWE Hall of Fame ceremony at the American Airlines Arena, the finals of the WrestleMania Reading Challenge, and a Celebrity Pro-Am Golf tournament.
Matches[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "WrestleMania is Miami-bound in 2012". World Wrestling Entertainment. 2011-02-09. Retrieved 2011-02-09.
- Varsallone, Jim (2011-02-09). "WrestleMania 28 headed to Sun Life Stadium". The Miami Herald. Retrieved 2011-02-09.
- Schoolcraft, Lisa R. (2009-09-25). "Atlanta is bidding for WrestleMania". Atlanta Business Chronicle. Retrieved 2011-02-09.
- Rupani, Meena (2010-05-20). "Miami-Dade Sports Commission chair 'relentless' in wrestling showcase bid". Miami Today. Retrieved 2011-02-09.
- Graser, Marc (2010-03-28). "WrestleMania sets off bidding frenzy". Variety. Retrieved 2011-02-09.
- Chang, Daniel (2011-02-09). "WWE's WrestleMania heading to Sun Life Stadium in 2012". The Miami Herald. Retrieved 2011-02-10.
- "Diaz, McMahon, Sophia bring WrestleMania 28 to Miami". The Miami Herald. 2011-02-11. Retrieved 2011-02-12.
- "WWE Tag Team Championship Triple Threat Match". WWE. Retrieved 30 March 2012.
- Giannini, Alex (February 19, 2012). "World Heavyweight Champion Daniel Bryan vs. Sheamus". WWE. Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- "Randy Orton vs. Kane". WWE. Retrieved 17 March 2012.
- "Intercontinental Champion Cody Rhodes vs. Big Show". WWE. Retrieved 20 February 2012.
- "Kelly Kelly and Maria Menounos vs. Divas Champion Beth Phoenix and Eve". WWE. Retrieved 16 March 2012.
- "The Undertaker vs. Triple H (Hell in a Cell Match with special referee Shawn Michaels)". WWE. Retrieved 20 February 2012.
- "Team Teddy vs. Team Johnny". WWE. Retrieved 12 March 2012.
- "WWE Champion CM Punk vs. Chris Jericho". WWE. Retrieved 20 February 2012.
- "John Cena vs. The Rock". WWE. Retrieved 28 October 2011.
[change | change source]