Burke County, North Carolina
|Burke County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
North Carolina's location in the U.S.
515 sq mi (1,334 km²)
8 sq mi (21 km²), 1.59%
176/sq mi (68/km²)
The county was made in 1777 from Rowan County. In 1791 parts of Burke County and Rutherford County were made into Buncombe County. In 1833 parts of Burke County and Buncombe County were made into Yancey County. In 1841 parts of Burke County and Wilkes County were made into Caldwell County. In 1842 more parts of Burke County and Rutherford County were made into McDowell County. And in 1861 parts of Burke County, Caldwell County, McDowell County, Watauga County, and Yancey County were made into Mitchell County.
Burke County is part of the local Western Piedmont Council of Governments.
Connected counties [change]
These counties are connected to Burke County:
- Caldwell County, North Carolina - north
- Catawba County, North Carolina - east
- Cleveland County, North Carolina - south-southeast
- Rutherford County, North Carolina - south-southwest
- McDowell County, North Carolina - west
- Avery County, North Carolina - northwest
Cities and towns [change]
These cities and towns are in Burke County: