||This article is being edited by students as part of a class project that ended on May 2013. Please assume good faith. If there are any problems, you are encouraged to contact an administrator. More information can be found here.|
|A pineapple, on its parent plant|
Pineapple is native from South America, Central America and the Caribbean. It's an edible fruit and the word pineapple means perfume perfumes. The meaning comes from an Amerindian languages group and the two main languages of this family are the tupi and the guarani. It's also a tropical plant and we must not keep it under 10 degrees. It takes a long time for the pineapple to grow and it depends on where it grows. It mainly depends on the growing conditions they get. If the temperature is warm, the pineapple will grow faster. On average, it takes about two to three years. The fruit must be picked before ripening because pineapple has to travel by boat to be accessible to all. It's different for an air travel, the pineapple can be picked when it is grown.
Benefits[change | edit source]
Pineapple is a good fruit for health. It's the perfect weight loss fruit because it's low in calories, sodium, saturated fats and cholesterol and there are a lot of fibers and vitamin C. The stem of the pineapple contains enzyme having healing effects, anti-inflammatory and it's also easier for the reduction of edema. The enzyme that contains the pineapple is benefit also for a person who wants to go on a diet. Pineapple contains lot manganese and the body needs manganese to build strong bones. 
Varieties[change | edit source]
In the world, there are a lot of varieties of pineapples. In fact, there are more than one hundred varieties and they grow in different size too, but there are four of those who are the main.
- Sugarloaf pineapple: It usually grows in Mexico and Venezuela. The flesh is white and there is no woodiness.
- Red Spanish pineapple: It is found in Central America's countries. The yellow of this pineapple is pale and it has the shape of a square.
- Queen pineapple: It grows in the Hluhluwe region of South Africa. They are less sweet, the flesh is rich and yellow. The flavor of this variety is mild.
- Smooth Cayenne pineapple: This variety comes from Hawaii. It contains high sugar and acid content. The leaves are spineless and they have a cylinder shape.
Symbolism[change | edit source]
Early Europeans commonly called any kind of fruit an apple, and that is why the Spanish thought pineapples looked like pine cones. Pineapples have nothing to do with pine cones and apples, but because of the similar shape between the pineapple and the pine cone, most people change it into symbolism. Both have been used for symbolizing fertility. The pineapple symbolized friendship and hospitality to the Caribs. These people usually hung pineapples outside their huts to show their welcome.
References[change | edit source]
|Wikispecies has information on: Ananas comosus.|
- « How Long Does it Take to Grow a Full Sized Pineapple? », answers.yahou, [online]. < http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080514210738AA9aw1P >
- « Ananas », Wikipedia, [en ligne]. < http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ananas >
- 7 Health Benefits of Eating Pineapples », 3fatchicks, [online]. < http://www.3fatchicks.com/7-health-benefits-of-eating-pineapples/ >
- « Pineapple Nutrition Facts », nutrition-and-you, [online]. < http://www.nutrition-and-you.com/pineapple.html >
- 4 Different Varieties of Pineapples », doityourself, [online]. < http://www.doityourself.com/stry/4-different-varieties-of-pineapples#b >
- Nectar and Ambrosia: An Encyclopedia of Food in World Mythology, Tamra Andrews [ABC-CLIO:Santa Barbara CA] 2000 (p. 177,179)