1174 was a common year.
|Centuries:||11th century – 12th century – 13th century|
|Decades:||1140s 1150s 1160s – 1170s – 1180s 1190s 1200s|
|Years:||1171 1172 1173 – 1174 – 1175 1176 1177|
Events[change | change source]
- Vietnam is given the name of Annam by China.
- Henry II of England confesses Rosamund Clifford as his mistress.
- Revolt of 1173-1174 against Henry II of England ends when the rebels are beaten.
- William I of Scotland is captured by Ranulf de Glanvill at the Battle of Alnwick (1174).
- Richard of Dover becomes Archbishop of Canterbury.
- William de Braose, Third Lord of Bramber becomes sheriff of Hereford.
- Baldwin IV becomes King of Jerusalem.
- Fire destroys most of Padua, Italy.
- City of Pombal, is started by Gualdim Pais in Portugal.
- Saladin takes Damascus.
- The last Toltec king commits suicide.
Births[change | change source]
- Saint Hedwig of Andechs (d. 1243)
- King Peter II of Aragon (d. 1213)
- Emeric of Hungary (d. 1204)
Deaths[change | change source]
- May 15 — Nur ad-Din, ruler of Syria (b. 1118)
- June 28 — Andrei Bogolyubsky, Prince of Vladimir (b. c. 1111)
- July 11 — King Amalric I of Jerusalem (b. 1136)
- September 22 — Uchtred, Lord of Galloway (b. c. 1120)
- October 17 — Queen Petronila of Aragon (b. 1135)
- Everard des Barres, third Grand Master of the Knights Templar
- Miles of Plancy, French crusader