Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Centuries:||14th century – 15th century – 16th century|
|Decades:||1380s 1390s 1400s – 1410s – 1420s 1430s 1440s|
|Years:||1414 1415 1416 – 1417 – 1418 1419 1420|
Events of 1417[change | change source]
- April 18 – Frederick I, Elector of Brandenburg begins to rule as margrave of Brandenburg
- June 24 – The Isle of Man holds the first known Tynwald Day; the annual meeting of its parliament Tynwald which has continued every year until present.
- July 27 – Avignon Pope Benedict XIII is deposed, bringing to an end the Great Western Schism.
- November 11 – Pope Martin V succeeds Pope Gregory XII as the 206th pope.
- The use of street lighting is first recorded in London, when Sir Henry Barton, the mayor, orders lanterns with lights to be hung out on the winter evenings between Hallowtide and Candlemas.
Births[change | change source]
- February 23 – Pope Paul II (d. 1471)
- June 19 – Sigismondo Pandolfo Malatesta, lord of Rimini (died 1468)
- November 23 – William FitzAlan, 16th Earl of Arundel, English politician (died 1487)
- date unknown
Deaths[change | change source]
- January – Art mac Art MacMurrough-Kavanagh, King of Leinster (born 1357)
- April 29 – Louis II of Naples (born 1377)
- September 4 – Robert Hallam, English Catholic bishop
- September 16 – Francesco Zabarella, Italian jurist (b. 1360)
- October 18 – Pope Gregory XII
- December 14 – John Oldcastle, English Lollard leader
- probable – Huitzilíhuitl, Aztec ruler of Tenochtitlan