Pope Paul II
|Papacy began||30 August 1464|
|Papacy ended||26 July 1471|
|Predecessor||Pope Pius II|
|Successor||Pope Sixtus IV|
|Birth name||Pietro Barbo|
|Born||23 February 1417|
|Died||26 July 1471 (aged 54)|
|Other popes named Paul|
Early life[change | change source]
Cardinal[change | change source]
Pope[change | change source]
Barbo was elected Pope on 30 August 1464; and he chose to be called Paul II.
Pope Paul was involved in Italian and European political disputes.
The Cardinals' right to wear the red biretta was granted by Paul II.
After his death[change | change source]
The accounts of histories written soon after his death were unfavorable.
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "List of Popes," Catholic Encyclopedia (2009); retrieved 2011-11-02.
- "Pope Paul II," Catholic Encyclopedia; retrieved 2011-10-29.
- "Paul II," Encyclopedia Britannica (1911), pp. 955.
- "Cardinal," Catholic Encyclopedia; retrieved 2011-11-01.
- Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge. (1833). "Paul II," Penny cyclopaedia, Vols. 17-18, pp. 322-323.
More reading[change | change source]
- Pastor, Ludwig. (1894). The History of the Popes from the Close of the Middle Ages, Vol. IV, Chapter I. London, J. Hodges. OCLC 64083707
Other websites[change | change source]
Media related to Paulus II at Wikimedia Commons
- Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company. 1913. .
- Catholic Hierarchy, Pope Paul II
- Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church, Cardinal Barbo; "The election of Pope Paul II (1464)"