Pope Pius III
|Papacy began||22 September 1503|
|Papacy ended||18 October 1503|
|Predecessor||Pope Alexander VI|
|Successor||Pope Julius II|
|Birth name||Francesco Todeschini Piccolomini|
|Born||May 29, 1439|
|Died||October 18, 1503(aged 64)|
|Other Popes named Pius|
Pope Pius III (Latin: Pius Tertius; 29 May 1439 – 18 October 1503), born Franchesco Todeschini and also known as Francesco Todeschini Piccolomini, was an Italian priest of the Roman Catholic Church and the 216th Pope from 22 September to 18 October 1503.
Early life[change | change source]
Francesco Todeschini was born in Siena. He was the nephew of Aeneas Silvius Piccolomini, who would become Pope Pius II. He was allowed by uncle to take his mother's maiden name of Piccolomini. His studies in law at the University of Perugia led to a doctorate degree.
Bishop[change | change source]
Cardinal[change | change source]
Pope[change | change source]
Cardinal Piccolomini was elected pope on September 22, 1503, His choice of name honors his uncle Pius II.
This pope's reign lasted less than a month.
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "List of Popes," Catholic Encyclopedia (2009); retrieved 2011-11-02.
- "Pope Pius III," Catholic Encyclopedia; retrieved 2011-10-31.
- Library of Congress Authority File, Pius III, Pope, ca. 1440-1503; retrieved 2011-10-30.
- Chisholm, Hugh (1911). Encyclopedia Britannica: A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature and General Information. University Press. p. 684.
- Penny Cyclopaedia of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge. C. Knight. 1840. p. 198.
- Note that Pius II and his nephew Pius III share the same coat-of-arms
Other websites[change | change source]
Media related to Pius III at Wikimedia Commons
- Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company. 1913. .
- Catholic Hierarchy, Pope Pius III
- Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church, Cardinal Piccolomini
- "The Piccolomini Library"