Pope Benedict XIV
|Papacy began||17 August 1740|
|Papacy ended||3 May 1758|
|Predecessor||Pope Clement XII|
|Successor||Pope Clement XIII|
|Birth name||Prospero Lorenzo Lambertini|
|Born||31 March 1675|
|Died||3 May 1758 (aged 83)|
|Other popes named Benedict|
Pope Benedict XIV (Latin: Benedictus Quartus Decimus; 31 March 1675 – 3 May 1758), born Prospero Lorenzo Lambertini, was an Italian priest of the Roman Catholic Church and the 248th Pope from 1740 until his death in 1758.
Early life[change | change source]
Lambertini was born in Bologna.
Bishop[change | change source]
In 1725, Lambertini was made Bishop of Theodosia. He became the Bishop of Ancona in 1727. He was made Bishop of Bologna in 1731.
Cardinal[change | change source]
lambertini was raised to the rank of cardinal in 1728.
Pope[change | change source]
He was elected Pope in 1740; and he chose to be called Benedict XIV.
Benedict confirms the title of King of Prussia, which was taken in 1701 by the Elector of Brandenburg.
The pope remained neutral in the War of the Spanish Succession.
Benedict ordered the construction of the Fountains of Trevi.
During Benedict's reign, the creation of a Vatican Library catalogue was begun.
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- ↑ "List of Popes," Catholic Encyclopedia (2009); retrieved 2011-11-8.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 "Pope Benedict XIV," Catholic Encyclopedia; retrieved 2011-11-8.
- ↑ Note on ordinal numbering: Popes Benedict XI–XVI are really the 10th–15th popes with that name. This is because Benedict X is now parsed as an antipope; but during the reign of Benedict XI, this was not recognized. The "true" or actual thirteenth pope Benedict identified himself with the ordinal number XIV. In other words, the numbering of popes after the 10th Benedict needs to be explained -- compare Popes Boniface VIII–IX.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge. (1833). "Benedict XIV," Penny cyclopaedia, Vol. 4, p. 215.
Other websites[change | change source]
Media related to Benedictus XIV at Wikimedia Commons
- Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company. 1913. .
- Catholic Hierarchy, Pope Benedict XIV
- Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church, Cardinal Lambertini
- Pope Benedict XIV portrait in the Vatican Museum