Pope Benedict XIV
|Papacy began||17 August 1740|
|Papacy ended||3 May 1758|
|Predecessor||Pope Clement XII|
|Successor||Pope Clement XIII|
|Birth name||Prospero Lorenzo Lambertini|
|Born||31 March 1675|
|Died||3 May 1758 (aged 83)|
|Other popes named Benedict|
Pope Benedict XIV (Latin: Benedictus Quartus Decimus; 31 March 1675 – 3 May 1758), born Prospero Lorenzo Lambertini, was an Italian priest of the Roman Catholic Church and the 248th Pope from 1740 until his death in 1758.
Early life[change | change source]
Bishop[change | change source]
Cardinal[change | change source]
Pope[change | change source]
Benedict ordered the construction of the Fountains of Trevi.
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "List of Popes," Catholic Encyclopedia (2009); retrieved 2011-11-8.
- "Pope Benedict XIV," Catholic Encyclopedia; retrieved 2011-11-8.
- Note on ordinal numbering: Popes Benedict XI–XVI are really the 10th–15th popes with that name. This is because Benedict X is now parsed as an antipope; but during the reign of Benedict XI, this was not recognized. The "true" or actual thirteenth pope Benedict identified himself with the ordinal number XIV. In other words, the numbering of popes after the 10th Benedict needs to be explained -- compare Popes Boniface VIII–IX.
- Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge. (1833). "Benedict XIV," Penny cyclopaedia, Vol. 4, p. 215.
Other websites[change | change source]
Media related to Benedictus XIV at Wikimedia Commons
- Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company. 1913. Cite has empty unknown parameter:
|HIDE_PARAMETER=(help)CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) .
- Catholic Hierarchy, Pope Benedict XIV
- Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church, Cardinal Lambertini
- Pope Benedict XIV portrait in the Vatican Museum