Pope Innocent VII
|Papacy began||October 17, 1404|
|Papacy ended||November 6, 1406|
|Predecessor||Pope Boniface IX|
|Successor||Pope Gregory XII|
|Birth name||Cosimo de' Migliorati|
Sulmona, Kingdom of Naples
|Died||November 6, 1406|
|Other popes named Innocent|
Pope Innocent VII (Latin: Innocentius Septimus; 1336 – November 6, 1406), born Cosimo de' Migliorati, was an Italian cleric of the Roman Catholic Church and the 205th Pope from 1404 until his death in 1406.
Early life[change | change source]
Migliorati was born at Sulmona in the Abruzzi region of Italy.
Migliorati studied at Perugia, Padua and Bologna. He taught law at Perugia and Pagua.
Bishop[change | change source]
Pope Urban VI made Migliorati Bishop of Bologna in 1386. He became Archbishop of Ravenna in 1387.
Cardinal[change | change source]
Pope Boniface IX made Migliorati cardinal in 1389.
Pope[change | change source]
Migliorati was elected pope on October 17, 1404; and chose to be called of Innocent VII.
He elevated his nephew as a cardinal Ludovico Migliorati. Cardinal Migliorati had a unique role as cardinal-nephew.
Pope Innocent was involved in Italian and European political disputes.
Western Schism[change | change source]
Innocent VII was pope during the years of the Western Schism, which was a split between factions of the Roman Catholic Church between 1378 and 1417.
During this period, there was more than one who claimed to be the true pope.
|Popes of the Western Schism|
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- ↑ "List of Popes," Catholic Encyclopedia (2009); retrieved 2011-11-29.
- ↑ The Penny Cyclopædia of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge. C. Knight. 1838. p. 480.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 "Pope Innocent VII", Catholic Encyclopedia; retrieved 2011-11-29.
- ↑ Chisholm, Hugh (1910). The Encyclopedia Britannica: A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature and General Information. Encyclopedia Britannica Company. p. 581.
- ↑ "Roman Curia", Catholic Encyclopedia; retrieved 2011-11-29.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 "Western Schism," Catholic Encyclopedia; retrieved 2011-11-29.
Other websites[change | change source]
Media related to Innocentius VII at Wikimedia Commons
- Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company. 1913. .
- Catholic Hierarchy, Pope Innocent VII
- Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church, Cardinal Migliorati