Pope Benedict IX
|Papacy began||October 1032 (first term)|
|Papacy ended||July 1048 (third term)|
Pope John XIX|
Pope Sylvester III
Pope Clement II
Pope Sylvester III|
Pope Gregory VI
Pope Damasus II
|Birth name||Teofilatto or Theophylactus|
|Other Popes named Benedict|
Pope Benedict IX (Latin: Benedictus Nonus;c. 1012–1056), born Teofilatto or Theophylactus of Tusculum, was an Italian priest of the Roman Catholic Church and the 146th Pope from 1032 to 1045. He is listed as the 148th Pope in 1045. Also, he was the 151st Pope in 1047-1048.
Early life[change | change source]
Cardinal[change | change source]
John XIX raised Teofilatto to the rank of a cardinal; but the date is unknown.
Pope[change | change source]
Benedict is usually recognized as having had three terms or reigns as pope
First term[change | change source]
Second term[change | change source]
Benedict's second period as pope lasted from his return six months later to 1045 when he sold his title to John Gratianus, who was then made pope with the name of Gregory VI. Benedict abdicated or resigned.
Third term[change | change source]
When the death of Clement II in 1047, Benedict IX tried to claim the papacy again, but was driven out of Rome by German troops. The timely election of Pope Damasus II became unimportant when he died 23 days later.
After his death[change | change source]
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "List of Popes," Catholic Encyclopedia (2009); retrieved 2011-11-3.
- Williams, George L. (2004). Papal Genealogy: The Families and Descendants of the Popes. McFarland. p. 12. ISBN 978-0-7864-2071-1.
- The Tusculum family are also known as the Tuscolani
- "Pope Benedict IX", Catholic Encyclopedia; retrieved 2011-11-3.
- Encyclopaedia Britannica: A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, and General Literature. R.S. Peale. 1891. p. 558.
- Room, Adrian (2012). Dictionary of Pseudonyms: 13,000 Assumed Names and Their Origins, 5th ed. McFarland. p. 56. ISBN 978-0-7864-5763-2.
- The Penny Cyclopædia of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge. C. Knight. 1835. p. 214.
- "Antipope" (Sylvester III), Catholic Encyclopedia (2009); retrieved 2011-11-02.
- "Pope Gregory VI", Catholic Encyclopedia (2009); retrieved 2011-11-02.
- "Abdication," Catholic Encyclopedia; retrieved 2013-2-11.
- "Pope Clement II", Catholic Encyclopedia (2009); retrieved 2011-11-02.
- "Pope Damasus II", Catholic Encyclopedia (2009); retrieved 2011-11-02.
- Stemmi Papali, Benedetto IX (Italian); retrieved 2011-11-3
Other websites[change | change source]
Media related to Benedictus IX at Wikimedia Commons
- "Pope Benedict IX". Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company. 1913.
- Catholic Hierarchy, Popes in sequence
- Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church, Cardinal Teofillato