Pope Callixtus III
|Pope Callixtus III|
|Bishop of Rome|
|Papacy began||8 April 1455|
|Papacy ended||6 August 1458|
|Consecration||31 August 1429|
by Pierre de Foix
|Created Cardinal||2 May 1444|
|Birth name||Alfons de Borja|
|Died||6 August 1458 (aged 79)|
Rome, Papal States
|Children||Francisco de Borja|
|Coat of arms|
|Other Popes named Callixtus|
Pope Callixtus III (Latin: Callistus Tertius; December 31, 1378–August 6, 1458), born Alfonso de Borja, was an Spanish official of the Roman Catholic Church and the 210th Pope from April 8, 1455 until his death.
Early life[change | change source]
Bishop[change | change source]
Cardinal[change | change source]
Pope[change | change source]
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- The pope's name is also spelled "Callistus"
- "List of Popes," Catholic Encyclopedia (2009); retrieved 2012-6-22.
- "Pope Callistus III", Catholic Encyclopedia; retrieved 2012-6-22.
- The Italian spelling for the pope's name was "Borgia".
- Beckett, William. (1836). "Callixtus III," A Universal Biography, Vol. 1, p. 633.
- Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge. (1836). "Calixtus III," Penny cyclopaedia, Vol. 6, p. 162.
- "Joan of Arc", Catholic Encyclopedia; retrieved 2012-6-22.
Other websites[change | change source]
Media related to Callistus III at Wikimedia Commons
- Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company. 1913. .
- Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church, Borja, Alfonso de