Pope Pius IV
|File:Ritratto di Pio IV.jpg.jpg|
|Papacy began||25 December 1559|
|Papacy ended||9 December 1565|
|Predecessor||Pope Paul IV|
|Successor||Pope Pius V|
|Birth name||Giovanni Angelo Medici|
|Born||31 March 1499|
|Died||9 December 1565(aged 66)|
|Other Popes named Pius|
Early life[change | change source]
Cardinal[change | change source]
Pope[change | change source]
Cardinal Medici was elected Pope on 25 December 1559.
Council of Trent[change | change source]
After his death[change | change source]
After his death in 1565, the body of Pope Pius IV was entombed at the church of Santa Maria degli Angeli.
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "List of Popes," Catholic Encyclopedia (2009); retrieved 2011-11-02.
- "Pope Pius IV," Catholic Encyclopedia; retrieved 2011-10-31.
- "Pius IV," Encyclopedia Britannica (1911), Vols. 21-22, pp. 684-685.
- Gallenga, Antonio Carlo Napoleone. (1841). Italy: General Views of Its History and Literature in Reference to Its Present State, Vol. II, p. 99.
- Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge. (1833). "Pius IV," Penny cyclopaedia, Vol. 18, p. 198.
- Tridentine Creed; retrieved 2011-10-31.
Other websites[change | change source]
Media related to Pius IV at Wikimedia Commons
- "Pope Pius IV". Catholic Encyclopedia. (1913). New York: Robert Appleton Company.
- "Pius," Encyclopædia Britannica, 1911
- Catholic Hierarchy, Pope Pius IV
- Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church, Cardinal Medici