Pope Pius IV
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Papacy began||25 December 1559|
|Papacy ended||9 December 1565|
|Predecessor||Pope Paul IV|
|Successor||Pope Pius V|
|Birth name||Giovanni Angelo Medici|
|Born||31 March 1499|
|Died||9 December 1565(aged 66)|
|Other popes named Pius|
Early life[change | change source]
Cardinal[change | change source]
Pope[change | change source]
Cardinal Medici was elected Pope on 25 December 1559.
Council of Trent[change | change source]
After his death[change | change source]
After his death in 1565, the body of Pope Pius IV was entombed at the church of Santa Maria degli Angeli.
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "List of Popes," Catholic Encyclopedia (2009); retrieved 2011-11-02.
- "Pope Pius IV," Catholic Encyclopedia; retrieved 2011-10-31.
- Chisholm, Hugh (1911). Encyclopedia Britannica: A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature and General Information. University Press. pp. 684–685.
- Antonio Carlo Napoleone Gallenga (1841). Italy: General Views of Its History and Literature in Reference to Its Present State. Saunders and Otley. p. 99.
- Penny Cyclopaedia of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge. C. Knight. 1840. p. 198.
- Tridentine Creed; retrieved 2011-10-31.
Other websites[change | change source]
Media related to Pius IV at Wikimedia Commons
- Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company. 1913. Cite has empty unknown parameter:
|HIDE_PARAMETER=(help)CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Pius," Encyclopædia Britannica, 1911
- Catholic Hierarchy, Pope Pius IV
- Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church, Cardinal Medici