|Discovered by||M. Brown,|
|Discovery date||February 17, 2004|
|Epoch November 30, 2008 (JD 2 454 800)|
|Aphelion||7 188.17 Gm (48.05 AU)|
|Perihelion||4 535.80 Gm (30.32 AU)|
|5 862.44 Gm (39.188 AU)|
|89 606 d (245.33 yr)|
Average orbital speed
|Known satellites||1 (92-432 km)|
−72.3 km (diameter)
|~1.5 g/cm³ (assumed)|
|B-V=0.68; V-R=0.37 |
90482 Orcus, originally known by the provisional designation 2004 DW, is a Kuiper belt object (KBO). It is also a dwarf planet. It was found by Michael Brown, Chad Trujillo and David Rabinowitz on February 17, 2004. It was also seen in pictures from November 8, 1951. Like Pluto it is in orbital resonance with Neptune but it stays on the opposite side of the Sun from Pluto.
Moon[change | change source]
The satellite was found at 0.25 arcsec from Orcus with magnitude difference of 2.7. Assuming an albedo similar to that of the primary, the magnitude suggests a diameter of about 220 km. It is thought to be a smaller KBO that was captured.
Other websites[change | change source]
- MPEC 2004-D09 announcing the discovery but attributing it to Raymond J. Bambery, Steven H. Pravdo, Michael D. Hicks, Kenneth J. Lawrence, Daniel MacDonald, Eleanor F. Helin and Robert Thicksten / NEAT
- MPEC 2004-D13 correcting MPEC 2004-D09
- Chad Trujillo's page on 2004 DW
- First BBC article
- First New Scientist article
- Updated orbital elements from Lowell Observatory
- AstDys orbital elements
- Orbital simulation from JPL (Java) / Ephemeris
References[change | change source]
- Buie, Marc W. (2007-12-22). "Orbit Fit and Astrometric record for 90482". SwRI (Space Science Department). Archived from the original on 2012-02-08. Retrieved 2008-09-19.
- Stansberry, J.; Grundy, W.; Brown, M.;; et al. (2007). "Physical Properties of Kuiper Belt and Centaur Objects: Constraints from Spitzer Space Telescope". Cite journal requires
|journal=(help)CS1 maint: extra punctuation (link) CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- "Overlooked dwarf planet candidates". BBC. 2008-02-19. Retrieved 2008-07-25.
- Tegler, Stephen C. (2006-01-26). "Kuiper Belt Object Magnitudes and Surface Colors". Archived from the original on 2007-11-16. Retrieved 2006-11-05.
- "HORIZONS Web-Interface". JPL Solar System Dynamics. Archived from the original on 2012-02-08. Retrieved 2008-07-02.
- "JPL Small-Body Database Browser: 90482 Orcus (2004 DW)". 2008-02-10. Archived from the original on 2012-02-08. Retrieved 2008-07-02.
- "(90482) Orcus and Vanth". Archived from the original on 2012-02-08. Retrieved 2009-02-27.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- Distant EKO The Kuiper Belt Electronic newsletter, March 2007