(Redirected from AD 2040)
|Centuries:||20th century – 21st century – 22nd century|
|Decades:||2010s 2020s 2030s – 2040s – 2050s 2060s 2070s|
|Years:||2037 2038 2039 – 2040 – 2041 2042 2043|
2040 (MMXL) will be a leap year starting on Sunday of the Gregorian calendar, the 2040th year of the Common Era (CE) and Anno Domini (AD) designations, the 40th year of the 3rd millennium, the 40th year of the 21st century, and the 1st year of the 2040s decade.
Predicted events[change | change source]
February[change | change source]
- February 6 – Early Macintosh computers cannot recognise dates after this day.
May[change | change source]
September[change | change source]
- September 8 – Major alignment of the planets
November[change | change source]
- November 4 – Partial solar eclipse
Unknown Dates[change | change source]
- 2040 Summer Olympics will be held.
- If the United States had not returned land for bases on Bermuda in 2002, a ninety-nine year lease (signed in 1941) would have expired.
- Climatologists predict that sometime in 2040 the Arctic Ocean will be free of ice, at least during the autumn. (News reports, December 2006).
Fictional events[change | change source]
- The anime series Macross Plus and Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 are both set in this year.
- In the universe of Star Trek: The Next Generation, the television becomes obsolete.
- A collection of Doctor Who short stories, Short Trips, is also set in that year.