|Canton||Castres-1, 2 and 3|
|• Mayor (2008–2014)||Pascal Bugis|
|98.17 km2 (37.90 sq mi)|
|• Density||420/km2 (1,100/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Elevation||151–367 m (495–1,204 ft) |
(avg. 170 m or 560 ft)
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
History[change | change source]
Castres grew up round the Benedictine abbey of Saint Benoît. Castres became an important stop on the international pilgrimage routes to Santiago de Compostela in Spain because its abbey-church, built in the 9th century, was keeping the relics of Saint Vincent, the renowned martyr of Spain. It was a place of some importance as early as the 12th century, and ranked as the second town of the Albigeois behind Albi.
Geography[change | change source]
Castres is in southern France, in the southwestern part of the Tarn department, to the north of the Montagne Noire, a mountain range in central southern France. Castres is crossed from north to south by the Agout river, a tributary of the Tarn.
Climate[change | change source]
Population[change | change source]
Evolution of the population in Castres
Administration[change | change source]
Castres is a subprefecture of the Tarn department and the capital of the arrondissement of Castres in the same department. It is also the capital of three Cantons:
- Castres-1, formed with a part of Castres (16,890 inhabitants) (2014)
- Castres-2, formed with a part of Castres and 6 other communes (15,422 inhabitants) (2014)
- Castres-3, formed with a part of Castres and the commune Navès (15,319 inhabitants) (2014)
Education[change | change source]
Sister cities[change | change source]
Castres is twinned with:
Gallery[change | change source]
Castres Town Hall
Castres and the Agout river
Jean Jaurès square, Castre
Municipal theatre, Castre
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "Castres". Map-France.com. Retrieved 1 July 2014.
- "La ville de Castres". Annuaire-Mairie.fr (in French). Retrieved 1 July 2013.
- "Castres (81100)" (in French). habitants.fr. Retrieved 1 July 2014.
- "Régions, départements, arrondissements, cantons et communes" (PDF). Populations légales 2014 (in French). Institut national de la statistique et des études économiques - INSEE. Retrieved 1 February 2017.