Doraemon (ドラえもん) is a Japanese manga and anime series. It was written by Fujiko F. Fujio. It was started in a children’s magazine in 1969. Doraemon is the name of a robot cat that came from the future to help a boy named Nobita Nobi. Doraemon is about the life of Nobita Nobi. In a typical story Doramon uses a gadget to solve a problem for Nobita, but Nobita goes too far and ends up being punished and learning a lesson.
Doraemon was turned into an anime television show in 1979. It still is being shown on television. As of 1996, about 100 million comic books have been sold. A Japanese-to-English version of the original called Doraemon: Gadget Cat from the Future was published from 2002. A local translation is published in each Asian country such as Hong Kong, Taiwan, Korea and Vietnam. It is in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and Australia, but it is not as popular as it is in Asia. Doraemon is endorsed by 7-11 in Thailand as a mascot.
Characters[change | change source]
Main[change | change source]
- Doraemon: A cat-like robot of the 22nd century. Doraemon came to the present age to help Nobita. Doraemon has a four-dimensional pocket which holds a lot of gadgets. He loves Japanese traditional sweet Dorayaki (also called Bean Jam Buns) and suffers from musophobia (fear of mice).
- Nobita Nobi: He is a fourth grader. He is lazy and always gets in trouble, and never does his homework.
- Shizuka Minamoto: She is a classmate of Nobita. She is a smart and kind girl and always helps everyone. She is the best friend of Nobita and his future's wife.
- Takeshi Gouda (Gian): He is a classmate of Nobita. He is very strong and always bullies Nobita. He is selfish and mean, and he sometimes looks after his mother's shop for grocery items.
- Suneo Honekawa: He is a classmate of Nobita. He is also selfish and mean, and his family is rich.
Recurring[change | change source]
- Hidetoshi Dekisugi: His name in Japanese which means "over talented". He is a very smart and intelligent boy who always do his homework on time. Nobita often asks Doraemon for gadgets to copy Dekisugi's homework. Nobita gets angry when he see Shizuka along with Dekisugi.
- Sewashi: He is Nobita's great great grandson who lives in the future. He is born in 2115.
- Dorami: She is Doraemon's sister. Her body colour is yellow. She is very kind and helps Nobita and her brother, Doraemon. She lives with Sewashi in the future.
- Jaiko Gouda: Gian's sister. She is exactly opposite to Gian. In the original timeline, without Doraemon, Nobita would have married her and become a bankrupt.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Doraemon.|
Apart from these, there are many characters like Nobita's mother, Nobita's father, Sensei, Mr. Kaminari (Mr. Rumbleton in US), etc.
Worldwide date[change | change source]
- December 15, 1969 (Japan)
- June 24, 1970 (UK)
- November 23, 1970 (USA)
- April 10, 1971 (Australia)
- July 13, 1971 (Canada)
- September 5, 1971 (New Zealand)
- August 27, 1971 (Ireland)
- May 31, 1971 (Brazil)
- October 18, 1971 (Iceland)
- December 15, 1971 (France)
- November 15, 1972 (Spain)
- September 14, 1973 (Germany)