John C. Frémont
John C. Frémont
John C. Frémont, 1852 portrait, by William S. Jewett
|5th Territorial Governor of Arizona|
October 6, 1878 – October 11, 1881
|Appointed by||Rutherford B. Hayes|
|Preceded by||John Philo Hoyt|
|Succeeded by||Frederick Augustus Tritle|
|United States Senator|
September 9, 1850 – March 3, 1851
|Preceded by||None (Statehood)|
|Succeeded by||John B. Weller|
|3rd Military Governor of California|
January 14, 1847 – March 1, 1847
|Appointed by||James K. Polk|
|Preceded by||Robert F. Stockton|
|Succeeded by||Stephen W. Kearny|
John Charles Fremon
January 21, 1813
Savannah, Georgia, U.S.
|Died||July 13, 1890 (aged 77)|
New York City, U.S.
|Alma mater||College of Charleston|
|Branch/service||United States Army|
|Years of service||1838–1848|
Department of the West
John Charles Frémont or Fremont (January 21, 1813 – July 13, 1890) was an American military officer, and explorer. He was the first candidate of the anti-slavery Republican Party for the office of President of the United States in 1856.
Frémont was born on January 21, 1813 in Savannah, Georgia. He studied at the College of Charleston. Frémont was married to Jessie Benton from 1841 until his death in 1890. They had no children. Frémont died on July 13, 1890 in his home in New York City from peritonitis, aged 77.
References[change | change source]
- Guinn, J. M. (1902). "XXXIV. Some Political History.". History of the State of California and Biographical Record of Santa Cruz, San Benito, Monterey, and San Luis Obispo Counties. archive.org. Chapman. pp. 234–235. Retrieved October 12, 2009.
The following is a list of the governors of California, Spanish, Mexican and American, with date of appointment or election:
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to John C. Frémont.|
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: John C. Frémont|
- Mr. Lincoln and Freedom: John C. Frémont
- The Generals of the American Civil War – Pictures of John Charles Frémont
- Guide to the Frémont Family Papers at The Bancroft Library
- Memoirs of my life : including in the narrative five journeys of western explorations during the years 1842, 1843–4, 1845–6–7, 1848–9, 1853–4 by John c. Fremont
- Address of welcome to General John C. Fremont, governor of Arizona territory, upon the occasion of his reception by his associates of the Association Pioneers of the Territorial Days of California, at their headquarters, Sturtevant House, New York, on ... August 1, 1878