Depp at the 2009 premiere of his film Public Enemies in Paris
|Born||John Christopher Depp Jr.
June 9, 1963
Owensboro, Kentucky, U.S.
|Occupation||Actor, screenwriter, director, producer, musician|
Early life[change | change source]
He is the son of an engineer and a waitress. He grew up with his brother Danny and his sisters Debbie and Christie and spent a lot of time with his grandfather. When his grandfather died, Depp was seven years old. His family went to Florida and in the next years, they had to change homes often. Johnny became worse at school and had his first experiences with drugs at the age of 15. He was thrown out of school and started to make music in a band called The Flame, and later on The Kids. His ex-wife is Lori Anne Allison (Lori A. Depp). She introduced him to actor Nicolas Cage. He has a daughter, Lily-Rose Melody and a son John (Jack) Christopher III with his former partner, French singer Vanessa Paradis.
Acting career[change | change source]
His first movie was Nightmare on Elm Street in 1984, which was a success. Afterwards, he decided to go to an acting school in Los Angeles. He got a small part in the movie Platoon and shortly after this, he was offered a part in the TV series 21 Jump Street which he first turned down but finally accepted.
Since then he has been a star. He became a teen idol, which he didn't like. His drug use at that time generated headlines, but his career went on and he acted in lots of movies.
Depp is one of Hollywood's most popular actors who can play a huge range of roles. Normally he plays rather odd characters, for example in Finding Neverland. He is not only liked for his looks but also for his acting talent and his funny (and sometimes strange) actions.
Personal life[change | change source]
Depp lives in France but also has a home in the United States. Depp has been getting used to living around French people, but says he is still trying to get better at speaking French. Depp has also bought an island that helps him calm his nerves.
Throughout his life, Depp has had many jobs. He has owned a club, called 'The Viper Room'.
Movies[change | change source]
- Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
- Private Resort (1985)
- Slow Burn (1986)
- Platoon (1986)
- Cry-Baby (1990)
- Edward Scissorhands (1990)
- Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare (1991)
- Benny and Joon (1993)
- What's Eating Gilbert Grape? (1993)
- Arizona Dream (1993)
- Ed Wood (1994)
- Don Juan De Marco (1995)
- Dead Man (1995)
- Donnie Brasco (1997)
- The Brave (1997)
- Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998)
- The Ninth Gate (1999)
- Sleepy Hollow (1999)
- The Astronaut's Wife (1999)
- Chocolat (2000)
- Before Night Falls (2000)
- Blow (2001)
- The Man Who Cried (2001)
- From Hell (2001)
- Once Upon a Time in Mexico (2003)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003)
- Happily Ever After (2004)
- Secret Window (2004)
- Finding Neverland (2004)
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005)
- The Corpse Bride (Voice, 2005)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (2007)
- Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007)
- Public Enemies (2009)
- The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (2009)
- Alice in Wonderland (2010)
- The Tourist (2010)
- The Rum Diary (2011)
- Rango (2011)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (2011)
- 21 Jump Street (2012)
- Dark Shadows (2012)
- The Lone Ranger (2013)
- Lucky Them (2013)
- Transcendence (2014)
- Tusk (2014)
- Into the Woods (2014)
- Mortdecai (2015)
- Black Mass (2015)
- Yoga Hosers (2015)
- London Fields (2015)
- Black Mass (2015)
- Allice Through the Looking Glass (2016)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017)
References[change | change source]
- "Johnny Depp Biography". Hollywood Movies, About.com. http://movies.about.com/od/deppjohnny/p/johnny-depp-bio.htm. Retrieved 2008-12-24.