John Christopher Depp Jr.
June 9, 1963
Owensboro, Kentucky, U.S.
|Occupation||Actor, musician, philanthropist, producer|
|Height||178 cm (5 ft 10 in)|
(m. 1983; div. 1985)
(m. 2015; div. 2017)
|Partner(s)||Vanessa Paradis (1998–2012)|
|Children||2, including Lily-Rose Depp|
John Christopher "Johnny" Depp Jr. (born June 9, 1963) is an American actor, musician, philanthropist and producer.
Early life[change | change source]
Depp is the son of an engineer and a waiter. He is of Belgian (Flemish), Dutch, English, French, German, Irish, Northern Irish (Scotch-Irish), Scottish and Welsh descent. He's also known to have Native American background as his grandmother was Native American. He grew up with his brother Danny and his sisters Debbie and Christie. He spent a lot of time with his grandfather. His family went to Florida and in the next years, they had to change homes often. Johnny became worse at school and had his first experiences with drugs and sex at the age of 12. He was thrown out of school for smoking pot in the back of the school and started to make music in a band called The Flame, and later on The Kids.
Acting career[change | change source]
His first movie was Nightmare on Elm Street in 1984, which was a success. Afterwards, he decided to go to an acting school in Los Angeles. He got a small part in the movie Platoon and shortly after this, he was offered a part in the television series 21 Jump Street.
He plays Jack Sparrow in the Pirates of the Caribbean film series and Willy Wonka in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
Personal life[change | change source]
His ex-wife is Lori Allison. He was engaged to Sherilyn Fenn in the late 1980s. He had a four-year relationship with Winona Ryder in the mid-1990s. He has a daughter, Lily-Rose Depp (born 1999) and a son John (Jack) Christopher III (born 2002) by his former partner, French singer Vanessa Paradis.
He began a relationship with Amber Heard in 2012. The couple married in February 2015. They divorced in May 2016. Their divorce had a lot of media attention when Heard said that Depp had been abusive throughout their relationship, and Depp in turn said in 2018 that Heard had abused him, before unsuccessfully suing the publishers of British tabloid The Sun for English defamation. And she reclaimed him 100 million dollars.
In 2022, Depp sued Heard for defamation in the United States after she wrote an op-ed discussing being a public victim of domestic violence in 2018, describing himself as a victim of cancel culture. The trial began in Virginia on April 11, 2022 and the verdict was reached on June 1, 2022 which found Heard guilty for defamation, resulting in US$10.3 million awarded.
Depp lives in Los Angeles. Depp has bought an island.
Throughout his life, Depp has had many jobs. He has owned a nightclub, called 'The Viper Room'.
Movies[change | change source]
- Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
- Private Resort (1985)
- Slow Burn (1986)
- Platoon (1986)
- Cry-Baby (1990)
- Edward Scissorhands (1990)
- Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare (1991)
- Benny and Joon (1993)
- What's Eating Gilbert Grape? (1993)
- Arizona Dream (1993)
- Ed Wood (1994)
- Don Juan De Marco (1995)
- Dead Man (1995)
- Donnie Brasco (1997)
- The Brave (1997)
- Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998)
- The Ninth Gate (1999)
- Sleepy Hollow (1999)
- The Astronaut's Wife (1999)
- Chocolat (2000)
- Before Night Falls (2000)
- Blow (2001)
- The Man Who Cried (2001)
- From Hell (2001)
- Once Upon a Time in Mexico (2003)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003)
- Happily Ever After (2004)
- Secret Window (2004)
- Finding Neverland (2004)
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005)
- The Corpse Bride (Voice, 2005)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (2007)
- Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007)
- Public Enemies (2009)
- The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (2009)
- Alice in Wonderland (2010)
- The Tourist (2010)
- The Rum Diary (2011)
- Rango (2011)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (2011)
- 21 Jump Street (2012)
- Dark Shadows (2012)
- The Lone Ranger (2013)
- Lucky Them (2013)
- Transcendence (2014)
- Tusk (2014)
- Into the Woods (2014)
- Mortdecai (2015)
- Black Mass (2015)
- Yoga Hosers (2015)
- London Fields (2015)
- Black Mass (2015)
- Allice Through the Looking Glass (2016)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017)
- Murder on the Orient Express (2018)
- Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (2018)
- The Professor (2019)
- Waiting for the Barbarians (2020)
Television[change | change source]
- 21 Jump Streets (1-1)
- Family Guy - cameo
- Puffin (upcoming)
References[change | change source]
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 "Johnny Depp Biography". Hollywood Movies, About.com. Retrieved 2008-12-24.
- ↑ These claims are mostly undocumented, and have been criticized.
- ↑ Grater, Tom (September 22, 2021). "Johnny Depp Says Cancel Culture Is "So Far Out Of Hand" & "No One Is Safe", Asks People To "Stand Up" Against "Injustice" – San Sebastian". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved November 6, 2021.
- ↑ "Johnny Depp Wins $15 Million Verdict in Defamation Case Against Ex-Wife Amber Heard". Variety. June 2022. Retrieved June 1, 2022.
Other websites[change | change source]
Media related to Johnny Depp at Wikimedia Commons