Assange in the Ecuadorian Embassy, London (August 2014)
Julian Paul Hawkins
3 July 1971
|Known for||Founding WikiLeaks|
|Home town||Melbourne, Victoria, Australia|
|Title||Director and editor-in-chief of WikiLeaks|
|Criminal status||Convicted of failure to surrender to the court|
Under arrest by the Metropolitan Police Service in London under extradition warrant.
(m. 1989; div. 1999)
(sep. 2009; sep. 2012)
Julian Paul Assange (born 3 July 1971) is an Australian-Ecuadorian computer programmer, publisher and journalist. He is a spokesman and editor-in-chief of WikiLeaks, which is a website that posts news leaks. He started the website in 2006. He was born in Townsville, Queensland. He also made a program called Rubberhose to hide secret information in a specific way that protects against torture.
On 11 January 2018, it was announced that Assange had held Ecuadorian citizenship since 12 December 2017.
Ecuadorian President Lenín Moreno said on 27 July 2018 that he had begun talks with British authorities to withdraw the asylum for Assange. On 11 April 2019, Ecuador withdrew Assange's asylum and he was arrested by the Metropolitan Police shortly afterwards. His lawyers said they will fight extradition to the United States 
References[change | change source]
- "Mystery Hacker: Who Is WikiLeaks Founder Julian Assange? - TIME". time.com. Retrieved December 15, 2010.
- "Julian Assange: Readers' Choice for TIME's Person of the Year 2010 - TIME NewsFeed". newsfeed.time.com. Retrieved December 17, 2010.
- "Ecuador grants WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange citizenship". The Independent. 2018-01-11. Retrieved 2018-01-11.
- Barnes, Tom (27 July 2018). "Assange will be removed from London embassy 'eventually', Ecuador says". The Independent. Retrieved 29 July 2018.
- "Julian Assange arrested in London: Live updates - CNN". 2019-04-11. Retrieved 2019-04-11.