|• Total||70 km2 (30 sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+4 (AZT)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+5 (AZT)|
Lankaran (also called Länkäran, Lencoran, and Lenkoran’) is a city in Azerbaijan. It is on the coast of the Caspian Sea, near the southern border of Iran. There were 83,300 people living there in 2010. It is next to Lankaran rayon. Lankaran was for a long time the capital of the Talysh Khanate. Lankaran International Airport is the airport for the city. There are sandy beaches near Lankaran.
The old form of the name was "Langarkanan". In Persian, it means "the place of pulling up the anchor(s)".
Lankaran State University was started in 1991.
Notable natives[change | change source]
- Jahan Talyshinskaya — folk singer and theatre actress.
- Hazi Aslanov — twice Hero of the Soviet Union.
- Mikhail Pavlov — Hero of Socialist Labor.
- Pasha Tahmazov — National Hero of Azerbaijan.
- Samedbey Mehmandarov — Russian army general, Minister of Defense of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic.
References[change | change source]
- World Gazetteer: Azerbaijan – World-Gazetteer.com
- "Weightlifting Masters". Official Website of European Masters Weightlifting 2012. Retrieved 19 March 2011.
- (in Azerbaijani) The Voice of Happiness and Optimism: Jahan Talyshinskaya by Afruz Mammadova. Musigi-dunya.az
- "Асланов Ази Ахад оглы" (in Russian). Heroes of the country.
- "Павлов Михаил Александрович" (in Russian). Heroes of the country.
- "Tahmazov Pasha Gurban oglu". milliqahraman.az.