|Luka Rocco Magnotta|
|Born||July 24, 1982
Scarborough, Ontario, Canada
|Other names||Vladimir Romanov
Mattia Del Santo
|Occupation||Pornographic actor, model|
Luka Rocco Magnotta (born Eric Clinton Kirk Newman; July 24, 1982) is a Canadian pornographic actor and model. He was convicted of murdering and dismembering his male lover Lin Jun, a Chinese international student, then mailing his severed limbs to different political parties and elementary schools.
After an 11-minute video titled 1 Lunatic 1 Ice Pick was uploaded to Bestgore.com which allegedly showed the murder was posted online, Magnotta fled Canada and was the subject of a Interpol Red Notice which lead to an international manhunt. Magnotta was arrested after he was found in an Internet café in Berlin while he was reading news about himself. He tried to give police fake names before he admitted who he was. He was handed over to Canadian authorities in Berlin on June 18, 2012 and was flown back to Canada on a Royal Canadian Air Force CC-150 Polaris. Magnotta was placed into solitary confinement at the Rivière-des-Prairies detention centre.
At 11 AM on May 29, 2012, a package which contained a left foot was delivered to the headquarters of the Conservative Party of Canada. Another package which contained a left hand was addressed to the Liberal Party but was intercepted in a Canada Post processing facility. A janitor found a decomposing torso in a suitcase. It was left in a garbage pile in the alley behind an apartment building in the Snowdon area of Montreal. On June 5, 2012, a package which contained a right foot was delivered to St. George's School and another package which contained a right hand to False Creek Elementary School in Vancouver.
The body parts were later matched to Lin Jun by DNA samples from his family. After police received an anonymous tip, they recovered Lin Jun's head which was lying at the edge of a small lake in Montreal's Angrignon Park.
Canadian media named Magnotta the Canadian Newsmaker of the Year which caused controversy.
After committal for trial, the preliminary inquiry judge set a tentative trial for September 8, 2014 on April 29, 2013. On 29 September 2014 in court in Quebec, Magnotta admitted killing Jun Lin. He pleaded not guilty to murder due to his schizophrenia. He has been diagnosed with borderline personality disorder and histrionic personality disorder.
After a twelve-week trial, the jury received their final instructions from the trial judge on December 15, 2014. On their eighth day of the jury's deliberation, they returned a verdict of guilty on all charges. Magnotta is serving a life sentence and he will be eligible for parole in 25 years. Magnotta was also sentenced to 19 years for other charges.
References[change | change source]
- Unsolved Miami murder
- "CityNews Rewind 2012: The worldwide manhunt for Toronto’s Luka Magnotta". CityNews. http://www.citynews.ca/2012/12/26/citynews-rewind-2012-the-worldwide-manhunt-for-torontos-luka-magnotta/. Retrieved 2014-03-25.
- Luka Magnotta diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia
- "Luka Magnotta & his troubled history". Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. http://www.cbc.ca/news2/interactives/magnotta-luka/. Retrieved 2014-03-25.
- "INTERPOL issues Red Notice for suspected Canadian killer". Interpol. http://www.interpol.int/News-and-media/News-media-releases/2012/N20120531. Retrieved 2014-03-25.
- "Luka Rocco Magnotta arrested in Germany". Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/luka-rocco-magnotta-arrested-in-germany-1.1147219. Retrieved 2014-03-25.
- "Luka Magnotta expected in Montreal court Tuesday". The Edmonton Sun. http://www.edmontonsun.com/2012/06/18/luka-magnotta-expected-in-montreal-court-tuesday. Retrieved 2014-03-25.
- "Montreal jail reserves isolated holding cell for Magnotta". The Toronto Sun. http://www.torontosun.com/2012/06/12/montreal-jail-reserves-isolated-holding-cell-for-magnotta. Retrieved 2014-03-25.
- "Nationwide manhunt underway for Luka Rocco Magnotta as police search for missing body parts". Associated Press. http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/05/30/luka-rocco-magnotta-manhunt/. Retrieved 2014-03-25.
- "Police find grisly scene in apartment of dismemberment suspect". The Globe and Mail. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/police-find-grisly-scene-in-apartment-of-dismemberment-suspect/article4217208/. Retrieved 2014-03-25.
- "Human Remains Delivered to 2 Canada Schools". Associated Press. http://bigstory.ap.org/article/human-remains-delivered-2-canada-schools. Retrieved 2014-03-25.
- "Jun Lin family's Montreal arrival 'heartbreaking'". Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/jun-lin-family-s-montreal-arrival-heartbreaking-1.1245689. Retrieved 2014-03-25.
- "Candlelight vigil held for Lin Jun in Montreal". The Globe and Mail. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/candlelight-vigil-held-for-lin-jun-in-montreal/article4265589/. Retrieved 2014-03-25.
- "Body parts mailed to Vancouver schools belong to Jun Lin". National Post. http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/06/14/jun-lin-luka-rocco-magnotta-vancouver/. Retrieved 2014-03-25.
- "Head found in Montreal park belongs to Jun Lin: police". CTV News. http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/head-found-in-montreal-park-belongs-to-jun-lin-police-1.865495. Retrieved 2014-03-25.
- "Jun Lin's mother has 'sympathy' for alleged killer". Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/jun-lin-s-mother-has-sympathy-for-alleged-killer-1.1181496. Retrieved 2014-03-25.
- "Video: How Luka Magnotta was named 2012 Canadian Newsmaker". The Canadian Press. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/news-video/video-how-luka-magnotta-was-named-2012-canadian-newsmaker/article6701278/. Retrieved 2014-03-25.
- "Luka Magnotta to stand trial on 1st-degree murder". Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/luka-magnotta-to-stand-trial-on-1st-degree-murder-1.1331284. Retrieved 2014-03-25.
- Porn star admits killing and chopping up lover
- Magnotta's lawyer says his client is not criminally responsible
- Psychiatrist downplays giant red flag
- "Luka Magnotta guilty of 1st-degree murder in Jun Lin's slaying". Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/luka-magnotta-guilty-of-1st-degree-murder-in-jun-lin-s-slaying-1.2875989. Retrieved 2014-12-30.
- "Canadian guilty of killing, dismembering Chinese student". USA Today. http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2014/12/23/canada-killing-dismemberment-life-sentence/20825699/. Retrieved 2014-12-30.