|Past member(s)||Ian "Lemmy" Kilmister|
Phil "Philthy Animal" Taylor
"Fast" Eddie Clarke
Brian "Robbo" Robertson
Phil "Wizzö" Campbell
Michael "Würzel" Burston
Motörhead were an English rock band. The band were started in 1975 by bassist, singer and songwriter Ian Fraser “Lemmy” Kilmister. He is known better as "Lemmy." Although they started in 1975 they did not start to become famous until they became part of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal in 1979. Motörhead is another word for Speed Freak.
Motörhead played heavy metal music. But they played very fast in their first years. Many listeners call them the first speed metal or thrash metal band. Motörhead are a main influence on other bands that play those styles. Lemmy did not like his band being called anything other than just a rock and roll band.
Motörhead's music has sounded the same through the years. The words to their songs are about things like: war, sex, and partying.
Motörhead are famous to fans of professional wrestling for playing the theme music used by wrestler Triple H when he walks down to the wrestling ring. He started using Motörhead's music in 2000. The song is called "The Game." The band have performed the song live at two WrestleMania events.
Motörhead was listed at number 26 on VH1's "The 100 Greatest Artists of Hard Rock" TV show.
The band were added into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2020.
Discography[change | change source]
Albums[change | change source]
- 1977 - Motörhead
- 1979 - Overkill
- 1979 - Bomber
- 1979 - On Parole
- 1980 - Ace of Spades
- 1981 - No Sleep 'til Hammersmith
- 1982 - Iron Fist
- 1983 - Another Perfect Day
- 1985 - No Remorse
- 1986 - Orgasmatron
- 1987 - Rock 'n' Roll
- 1988 - No Sleep at All
- 1991 - 1916
- 1992 - March or Die
- 1993 - Bastards
- 1995 - Sacrifice
- 1996 - Overnight Sensation
- 1998 - Snake Bite Love
- 1999 - Everything Louder Than Everyone Else
- 2000 - We Are Motörhead
- 2002 - Hammered
- 2003 - Live at Brixton Academy
- 2004 - Inferno
- 2006 - Kiss of Death
- 2008 - Motörizer
- 2010 - The Wörld Is Yours
- 2013 - Aftershock
- 2015 - Bad Magic
Notes[change | change source]
- "New Wave of British Heavy Metal". Allmusic. Retrieved 2009-04-11.
- Erlewine, Stephen. "Motörhead Biography". Allmusic. Retrieved 19 December 2008.
Motörhead wasn't punk rock... but they were the first metal band to harness that energy and, in the process, they created speed metal and thrash metal.
- "An Interview with Lemmy Kilmister". Classic Rock Revisited article. Archived from the original on 2008-02-02. Retrieved 2007-04-04.
- "VH1: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Artists: 1-50". Rock On The Net. 22 Feb 2009. Retrieved 2009-05-10.
- "Motorhead Drummer: 'Motorhead Is Over, Of Course'". Rolling Stone. 29 December 2015. Retrieved 29 December 2015.
- "Mikkey Dee: 'Motörhead Is Over'". Blabbermouth.net. 29 December 2015. Retrieved 29 December 2015.