Organisation of the Commissioner for Philately and Scripophily
|Организация Уполномоченного по филателии и бонам в СССР (ОУФБ)|
|Formed||30 March 1922|
|Dissolved||25 October 1926|
Organisation of the Commissioner for Philately and Scripophily was established in Moscow in 1922 by the All-Russian Central Executive Committee (VTsIK) for matters concerned with philately and bonds. An old Bolshevik Feodor Chuchin headed this organisation.
History[change | change source]
To help finance the Central Famine Relief Committee (POMGOL), VTsIK decided to sell abroad postage stamps of Imperial Russia and the newly formed governments of the Civil War period. The idea was to obtain hard currency for them. Feodor Chuchin was named in 1921 the POMGOL commissioner for matters pertaining to stamp donations.
In March 1922, the Organisation of the Commissioner for Philately and Scripophily[a] was set up. Chuchin was appointed to supervise its activities in Soviet Russia and abroad. The sale of stamps and paper money was profitable:
|“||In the financial report for November 1922 it was indicated that the finance office of the VTsIK received deposits worth 2,970,000 rubles on the organisation's account.||”|
Related pages[change | change source]
- All-Russian Society of Philatelists
- First All-Union Philatelic Exhibition
- Philatelic International
- Soviet Philatelic Association
- Soviet Philatelist
Notes[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- Polchaninov, R. (1986). Translated by G. Shalimoff and D. Skipton. "From the history of philately in the USSR". Rossica: Journal of the Rossica Society of Russian Philately. 108–109: 46–52. ISSN 0035-8363. Archived from the original on 2015-05-15. Retrieved 2015-05-15.
[Reprinted from 'Novoye Russkoye Slovo', New York, 27 July 1986, in the column 'Collector's Corner']CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)Archived from on 2015-05-15.
- Прохоров, А. М., гл. ред., ed. (1978). "Чучин Фёдор Григорьевич" [Chuchin, Fedor Grigor’evich]. Большая советская энциклопедия: в 30 т. (1970–1979) [The Great Soviet Encyclopedia] (in Russian; English translation). 29 (Чаган — Экс-ле-Бен) (3rd ed.). М.: Советская энциклопедия. Archived from the original on 2015-05-15. Retrieved 2015-05-15.CS1 maint: multiple names: editors list (link) CS1 maint: unrecognized language (link)
Further reading[change | change source]
- Grant, J. (July 1995). "The socialist construction of philately in the early Soviet era". Comparative Studies in Society and History. 37 (3): 476–493. ISSN 0010-4175. doi:10.1017/S0010417500019770. Retrieved 2015-05-15. External link in
|journal=(help) Archived from the original and another source on 2015-05-15.
Other websites[change | change source]
- Media related to Organisation of the Commissioner for Philately and Scripophily at Wikimedia Commons