Cover of the Soviet Collector's January 1925 issue showing a photo from the 1st Congress of the All-Russian Society of Philatelists
|Editor-in-Chief||Kazimir Dunin-Barkovsky (1928–1932)|
|Editor||V. A. Bessonov (Soviet Collector)[a]|
|Circulation||2000 (in 1922)|
|First issue||September 1922|
Vol. 11, No. 12
|Company||Organisation of the Commissioner for Philately and Scripophily, All-Russian Society of Philatelists|
Soviet Philatelist or Sovetskii Filatelist[b] was a Soviet central philatelic magazine published in 1922–1932. In 1925 and in 1928–1932, its name was changed to Soviet Collector or Sovetskii Kollektsioner.[c]
History[change | change source]
- Russkii Kollektsioner (Russian Collector), published in Novocherkassk,
- Priural'skii Kollektsioner (Ural Collector),
- Krymskii Kollektsioner (Crimean Collector), etc.
However, centralisation of collectors' organisations and periodicals was wanted:
|“||...Instead of dissipating our forces, wouldn't it be better to rally all Russian collectors around one banner, the outline of which is already sufficiently drawn, and produce monthly handbooks containing articles of a serious nature? This rather than subsisting on themes such as "all possible stamps of Tibet," or some such? This is an important question, and as far as the journal we are contemplating is concerned, its external and internal appearance should be more pleasing than Krymskii Kollektsioner (Crimean Collector).||”|
By 1924, these local magazines eventually closed down. In September 1922, the new magazine, Soviet Philatelist, first saw print in Moscow. Its founder and editor was F. G. Chuchin, Commissioner for Philately and Scripophily.
In 1925, the magazine name was changed to Sovetskii Kollektsioner. The magazine was published biweekly. It was edited by V. A. Bessonov at that time.
In 1926 three magazines, Sovetskii Filatelist, Sovetskii Kollektsioner and Radio de Filintern, were combined. They began to be published under one cover. Their individual lineal numeration was preserved. The last combined issue came out in December 1927.
In the first half of 1928, the cover of the combined issues was only under one title, Sovetskii Filatelist. In July 1928, the magazine was renamed to Sovetskii Kollektsioner. It was published by the Soviet Philatelic Association and the All-Russian Society of Philatelists. The last issue appeared in December 1932.
|Title||Year||Start Issue||End Issue|
|No. (lineal No.)||Date||No. (lineal No.)||Date|
|1924||1 (17)||1/1924||11/12 (27/28)||12/1924|
|Name change to:|
|Sovetskii Kollektsioner||1925||1 (29)||1/1925||23/24 (51/52)||12/1925|
|Combination of three magazines published under one cover:|
|Sovetskii Filatelist||1926||1 (53)||1/1926||12 (64)||12/1926|
|1927||1 (65)||1/1927||12 (76)||12/1927|
|Sovetskii Kollektsioner||1926||1 (25)||1/1926||12 (36)||12/1926|
|1927||1 (37)||1/1927||12 (48)||12/1927|
|Radio de Filintern||1926||1 (13)||1/1926||12 (24)||12/1926|
|1927||1 (25)||1/1927||12 (36)||12/1927|
|Name change to (still three unique magazines, just one masthead):|
|Sovetskii Filatelist||1928||1 (77)||1/1928||6 (82)||6/1928|
|Name change to:|
|1928||1 (83)||7/1928||6 (88)||12/1928|
|1929||1 (89/91)||1–3/1929||10/12 (98–100)||10–12/1929|
|1930||1 (101)||1/1930||12 (112)||12/1930|
|1931||1 (113)||1/1931||12 (124)||12/1931|
|1932||1 (125)||1/1932||10/12 (134/136)||10–12/1932|
Related pages[change | change source]
- All-Russian Society of Philatelists
- First All-Union Philatelic Exhibition
- Organisation of the Commissioner for Philately and Scripophily
- Philatelic International
- Soviet Philatelic Association
Notes[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- Manykina, V. (2015-02-23). "Philately in Russia, Part 2". Russia-IC: Culture & Arts: Manners, Customs and Traditions. Russia-InfoCentre; Guarant-InfoCentre. Archived from the original on 2015-05-15. Retrieved 2015-05-15.
- Polchaninov, R. (1986). Translated by G. Shalimoff and D. Skipton. "From the history of philately in the USSR". Rossica: Journal of the Rossica Society of Russian Philately. 108–109: 46–52. ISSN 0035-8363. Archived from the original on 2015-05-15. Retrieved 2015-05-15.
[Reprinted from 'Novoye Russkoye Slovo', New York, 27 July 1986, in the column 'Collector's Corner']CS1 maint: bot: original URL status unknown (link)Archived from on 2015-05-15.
- Прохоров, А. М., гл. ред., ed. (1978). "Чучин Фёдор Григорьевич" [Chuchin, Fedor Grigor’evich]. Большая советская энциклопедия: в 30 т. (1970–1979) [The Great Soviet Encyclopedia] (in Russian; English translation). 29 (Чаган — Экс-ле-Бен) (3rd ed.). М.: Советская энциклопедия. Archived from the original on 2015-05-15. Retrieved 2015-05-15.CS1 maint: multiple names: editors list (link) CS1 maint: unrecognized language (link)
Further reading[change | change source]
- Grant, J. (July 1995). "The socialist construction of philately in the early Soviet era". Comparative Studies in Society and History. 37 (3): 476–493. ISSN 0010-4175. doi:10.1017/S0010417500019770. Archived from the original on 2015-05-15. Retrieved 2015-05-15. External link in
|journal=(help) Archived from the original and another source on 2015-05-15.
Other websites[change | change source]
- Media related to Soviet Philatelist at Wikimedia Commons