Soviet Philatelic Association
|Советская филателистическая ассоциация (СФА)|
|Formed||25 October 1926|
|Parent agency||Commission on the Organisation and Disposal of the V. I. Lenin Fund for Street Children Aid|
History[change | change source]
Two early philatelic public entities existed in the Soviet Union. These were All-Russian Society of Philatelists (created in 1922) and Philatelic International (or Filintern organised in 1924). In July 1924, an "All-Union Philatelic Association of Socialist Soviet Republics" was formed. It was called the "State Philatelic Organization". This association was entrusted to Feodor Chuchin. He also supervised another state body, Organisation of the Commissioner for Philately and Scripophily. The All-Union Philatelic Association ceased to exist soon after. It lacked a published decree of the All-Russian Central Executive Committee (VTsIK) and RSFSR Sovnarkom.
On 25 October 1926, a new association was established in Moscow by VTsIK and Sovnarkom decree. It replaced the Organisation of the Commissioner for Philately and Scripophily. SFA sold Soviet stamps to foreign dealers, Soviet philatelists, and schoolboys. These latter glued their stamps into school notebooks because of a lack of stamp albums.
In 1938, the Soviet Philatelic Association was replaced with the Chief Philatelic Bureau.
Related pages[change | change source]
- All-Russian Society of Philatelists
- First All-Union Philatelic Exhibition
- Organisation of the Commissioner for Philately and Scripophily
- Philatelic International
- Soviet Philatelist
Notes[change | change source]
- Russian: Советская филателистическая ассоциация (СФА).
References[change | change source]
- Polchaninov, R.; Translated by G. Shalimoff and D. Skipton (1986). "From the history of philately in the USSR". Rossica: Journal of the Rossica Society of Russian Philately. 108–109: 46–52. ISSN 0035-8363. Archived from the original on 2015-05-15. Retrieved 2015-05-15.
Reprinted from 'Novoye Russkoye Slovo', New York, 27 July 1986, in the column 'Collector's Corner'.
Further reading[change | change source]
- Grant, Jonathan (July 1995). "The Socialist Construction of Philately in the Early Soviet Era". Comparative Studies in Society and History. 37 (3): 476–493. doi:10.1017/S0010417500019770.
Other websites[change | change source]
- Media related to Soviet Philatelic Association at Wikimedia Commons