Tuesday is the day of the week between Monday and Wednesday. In some countries, for example the United States of America, Tuesday is the third day of the week. In other parts of the world, Tuesday is the second day of the week.
History of the name[change | change source]
The name Tuesday comes from a Middle English word, Tiwesday. This word came from the Old English word Tiwes dæg. This was named after the Nordic god Tyr. Tyr was the God of War, like the Roman war god Mars, and Greek god Ares.
In Latin, Tuesday is called Martis dies which means "Mars's Day". In French, Spanish, Italian and Romanian, the (Romance languages), the word for "Tuesday" is nearly the same as the Latin name. Tuesday is mardi in French, martes in Spanish, martedì in Italian, dimarts in Catalan, and marţi in Romanian.
The Celtic languages still spoken use the Latin names, even though none of these languages came from Latin. Tuesday is dé máirt in Irish, Meurzh in Breton, dydd Mawrth in Welsh and Dimàirt in Scottish Gaelic.
- Old Frisian: tîesdei
- Modern West Frisian: tiisdei
- Old English: tíwesdæg
- Old High German: zîestag
- Old Norse: týrsdagr
References[change | change source]
- Crowl, Lawrence. "The Seven-Day Week and the Meanings of the Names of the Days". www.crowl.org. Retrieved 2009-07-26.
- MacBain, Alexander. An Etymological Dictionary of the Gaelic Language. Gairm Publications, 1982 reprint of 1896 original.
- "Dicts.info Breton to English to Breton Dictionary". Archived from the original on 2008-12-27. Retrieved 2008-12-17.
- Welsh-English / English-Welsh On-line Dictionary, University of Wales, Lampeter
- MacFarlane, Malcolm. The School Gaelic Dictionary. Eneas MacKay, Stirling, 1912.
- "English-Gaelic Parliamentary Dictionary, published by the Scottish Parliament, 2001" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2008-04-22. Retrieved 2008-12-17.
- "Stòr-dàta Briathrachais Gàidhlig". Archived from the original on 2008-12-18. Retrieved 2008-12-17.
|Days of the Week|
|Monday | Tuesday | Wednesday | Thursday | Friday | Saturday | Sunday|