|Born||21 June 1914|
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
|Died||11 October 1996 (aged 82)|
|Post Keynesian economics|
|Alma mater||Columbia University|
Robert M. Haig
John Maynard Keynes
Revenue equivalence theorem
|Information at IDEAS / RePEc|
William Spencer Vickrey (21 June 1914 – 11 October 1996) was a Canadian-American professor of economics. He is a Nobel Laureate. He was awarded the 1996 Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences with James Mirrlees for their research into the economic theory of incentives under asymmetric information, becoming the only Nobel laureate born in British Columbia.
The announcement of his Nobel Prize was made just three days prior to his death. Vickrey died during his journey to a conference of Georgist academics that he helped found. He was never missed once in 20 years. His Columbia University economics department colleague C. Lowell Harriss accepted the posthumous prize on his behalf. There are only three other cases where a Nobel Prize has been presented posthumously.
Early years[change | change source]
Vickrey was born in Victoria, British Columbia. He attended high school at Phillips Academy in Andover, Massachusetts. After obtaining his B.S. in Mathematics at Yale University in 1935, he went on to complete his M.A. in 1937. He also did Ph.D. in 1948 at Columbia University, where he remained for most of his career.
Personal life[change | change source]
Selected works[change | change source]
- "Counterspeculation, Auctions, and Competitive Sealed Tenders", Journal of Finance, 1961. The paper originated auction theory, a subfield of game theory.
- "Fifteen Fatal Fallacies of Financial Fundamentalism: A Disquisition on Demand Side Economics". October 5, 1996.
- Arrow, Kenneth Joseph; Arnott, Richard J.; Atkinson, Anthony A.; Drèze, Jacques, eds. (1997). Public Economics: Selected Papers by William Vickrey. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0-521-59763-0.
- Warner, Aaron W.; Forstater, Mathew; Rosen, Sumner M., eds. (2000). Commitment to Full Employment: The Economics and Social Policy of William S. Vickrey. Armonk, N.Y: M.E. Sharpe. ISBN 978-0-7656-0633-4.
- Pavlina R. Tcherneva; Forstater, Mathew (2004). Full Employment and Price Stability: The Macroeconomic Vision of William S. Vickrey. Edward Elgar Publishing. ISBN 978-1-84376-409-0.CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
References[change | change source]
Further reading[change | change source]
- Arnott, Richard (October 1997). "William Vickrey; Contributions to Public Policy" (PDF). Cite journal requires
- Richard Arnott; Anthony B. Atkinson; Kenneth Arrow; Jacques H. Drèze, eds. (1994). Public Economics; Selected Papers by William Vickrey. Cambridge University Press.
[change | change source]
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: William Vickrey|
- "William S. Vickrey (1914–1996)". The Concise Encyclopedia of Economics. Library of Economics and Liberty (2nd ed.). Liberty Fund. 2008.
- "William Vickrey". JSTOR.
Robert E. Lucas Jr.
| Laureate of the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economics
Served alongside: James A. Mirrlees
Robert C. Merton
Myron S. Scholes