Robert J. Shiller
Robert James Shiller
March 29, 1946
|Alma mater||Michigan (B.A. 1967)|
MIT (Ph.D. 1972)
|Known for||Irrational Exuberance, Case-Shiller index|
|Awards||Deutsche Bank Prize (2009) Nobel Memorial Prize in Economics (2013)|
|Doctoral advisor||Franco Modigliani|
|Doctoral students||John Y. Campbell|
|Influences||John Maynard Keynes|
Robert James Shiller (born March 29, 1946) is an American Nobel Laureate, economist, academic, and best-selling author. He serves as a Sterling Professor of Economics at Yale University and is a fellow at the Yale School of Management's International Center for Finance.
Early life[change | change source]
Shiller was born in Detroit, Michigan. He studied at Kalamazoo College and the University of Michigan where he received his B.A. degree in 1967. He received the S.M. degree from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in 1968, and his Ph.D. from MIT in 1972.
Career[change | change source]
Shiller has been a researcher of the National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER) since 1980, was vice president of the American Economic Association in 2005, and president of the Eastern Economic Association for 2006–2007.
References[change | change source]
- Grove, Lloyd. "World According to ... Robert Shiller". Portfolio.com. Retrieved 2009-06-26.
- Blaug, Mark; Vane, Howard R. (2003). Who's who in economics (4 ed.). Edward Elgar Publishing. ISBN 1-84064-992-5.
- Campbell, John Y. (2004), "An Interview with Robert J. Shiller", Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, 8 (5): 649–683, doi:10.1017/S1365100504040027, S2CID 154975037, retrieved 2009-03-22
- "The Closing: Robert Shiller". The Real Deal. November 1, 2007. Retrieved December 2, 2012.
- "ICF Fellows". About. Yale University School of Management. Retrieved 21 September 2012.
- Van Sweden, James (October 22, 2013). "Alumnus Wins Nobel Prize". www.kzoo.edu. Kalamazoo College. Retrieved October 31, 2013.
- "Past Presidents". Eastern Economic Association. Archived from the original on February 11, 2017. Retrieved February 9, 2017.
- The Prize in Economic Sciences 2013 Archived 2018-06-22 at the Wayback Machine, nobelprize.org, retrieved 14 October 2013
- 3 US Economists Win Nobel for Work on Asset Prices, ABC News, October 14, 2013
Other websites[change | change source]
- Article on Robert J. Shiller (German language) Archived 2013-10-19 at the Wayback Machine
- Robert Shiller's interview on the housing crisis with The Politic
- Video conversation on the economy with Shiller and Robert Wright on Bloggingheads.tv.
- "Finance and the Good Society – Irreconcilable or Inseparable?" Archived 2013-10-16 at the Wayback Machine Presentation by Robert J. Shiller for the CFO Insight Magazine, August 2012
- Link to podcast lecture at London School of Economics on Sub Prime Crisis Archived 2009-02-12 at the Wayback Machine
- RSA Vision webcasts – Robert Shiller in conversation with Daniel Finkelstein on "How Human Psychology Drives the Economy" Archived 2009-06-12 at the Wayback Machine