|This article needs copy editing for spelling and grammar.. (January 2014)|
||This article does not have any sources. (August 2009)|
Plot[change | change source]
Harry Potter was a boy born with the power to do magic. When Harry was one year old, his parents were killed. Because of this, he was raised by his non-magical aunt, uncle, and cousin. Growing up, he did not know he was magical. He soon discovers that there are a lot of magical people, living secretly and hiding from non-wizards (known as "muggles"). When Harry turns eleven, he gets a letter inviting him to go to a boarding school called Hogwarts for young witches and wizards. Each book tells the story of one year of his life at the school. He goes on many adventures with his friends Ron and Hermione.
There are seven books. A series of eight movies based on the novels has been made by Warner Bros. They started making the movies in 2001. The first one was released on November 16th 2001. The second to the fifth were released respectively on 2002, 2004, 2006 and 2007. The sixth one, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, was released on July 7, 2009. The first half of the final movie Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows was released in late November, 2010. Part 2 of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows was released in July, 2011.
Please note that the following Wikipedia post may reveal spoilers.
Books[change | change source]
- 1997 - Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone in the United States)
- 1998 - Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- 1999 - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- 2000 - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- 2003 - Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- 2005 - Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- 2007 - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Movies[change | change source]
- 2001 - Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
- 2002 - Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- 2004 - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- 2005 - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- 2007 - Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- 2009 - Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- 2010 - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- 2011 - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part two
Characters and actors of the movies[change | change source]
Main characters[change | change source]
- Harry Potter (Daniel Radcliffe): The hero of the stories. Harry is a special young wizard. Harry's parents, James and Lily Potter, were killed by Lord Voldemort when he was a baby. Due to this, he lives and was raised by his Aunt Petunia, his mother's sister, and Uncle Vernon, along with their son Dudley.
- Ron Weasley (Rupert Grint): Harry's best friend. Ron comes from a large magical family, with 5 brothers and 1 sister.
- Hermione Granger (Emma Watson): Harry's other best friend. Hermione's parents are not wizards, but "Muggles" (non-magical people). She is the brightest student in a class.
- Albus Dumbledore: Headmaster at Hogwarts. His real name is "Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore". He is a very powerful wizard. Voldemort fears him. Dumbledore was played by Richard Harris in the first two movies. After Richard Harris's death, Michael Gambon took over the role.
- Rubeus Hagrid (Robbie Coltrane): Teacher and Groundskeeper at Hogwarts, friend of Harry, Ron, and Hermione, and a "half-giant."
- Lord Voldemort: The main villain of the series. He is feared throughout the wizarding world, and is often referred to as "He Who Must Not Be Named", or as "You Know Who". Prior to his infamy he was known as Tom Marvolo Riddle. The part was played in different movies by Richard Bremmer, Christian Coulson, and Ralph Fiennes.
- Sirius Black: (Gary Oldman) James Potter's best friend. He was charged for a murder that he did not do, and then broke out of Azkaban. He is Harry Potter's godfather.
- Severus Snape (Alan Rickman): the Potions master at Hogwarts. Harry and his friends do not like Snape, and not many of the other characters in the books do as well.
- Draco Malfoy (Tom Felton): Slytherin student and one of Harry's main enemies. He is ordered to kill Dumbledore but cannot bring himself to do it.
The Weasleys[change | change source]
|Arthur Weasley||Father of the Weasleys||Mark Williams||Works for the Ministry of Magic|
|Molly Weasley||Mother of the Weasleys||Julie Walters||Busy mother of seven children|
|Bill Weasley||eldest son||Domhnall Gleeson||Cursebreaker for Gringotts Bank|
|Charlie Weasley||second eldest son||Alex Crockford||Works as a Dragon-tamer in Romania|
|Percy Weasley||third oldest son||Chris Rankin||Works for the Ministry of Magic|
|Fred Weasley||Fourth son
Older Weasley twin
|James Phelps||Owns the wizarding joke shop, left Hogwarts in the fifth book, "Order of the Phoenix."|
|George Weasley||Fifth son
Younger Weasley twin
|Oliver Phelps||Owns the wizarding joke shop, left Hogwarts in the fifth book, "Order of the Phoenix."|
|Ronald Weasley||Sixth son
||Rupert Grint||One of Harry's two closest friends at Hogwarts who helps him
|Ginny Weasley||Daughter, youngest||Bonnie Wright||The youngest of seven. Harry's girlfriend from the sixth book on.|
Teachers at Hogwarts[change | change source]
(Head of Gryffindor house)
(changing something into something else)
(Head of Slytherin house)
(brewing magical mixtures)
|Horace Slughorn||Jim Broadbent|
(Keeper of the Keys and Grounds at Hogwarts)
|Robbie Coltrane||Care of Magical Creatures
(studying mystical creatures)
(Head of Ravenclaw house)
(making things happen)
(Head of Hufflepuff house)
(caring for magical plants)
|Sybill Trelawney||Emma Thompson||Divination
(predicting the future)
|Madame Hooch||Zoe Wannamaker||Flying on broomsticks
also: referee and teacher for Quidditch
|Quirinus Quirrel||Ian Hart||Defence Against the Dark Arts
|Gilderoy Lockhart||Kenneth Branagh|
|Remus Lupin||David Thewlis|
|Alastor Moody (impersonated in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by Barty Crouch, Jr.)||Brendan Gleeson|
|Dolores Umbridge||Imelda Staunton|
|Severus Snape||Alan Rickman|
|Alecto Carrow||Suzanne Toase|
Other students[change | change source]
|Cho Chang||Ravenclaw||Katie Leung||Dated Harry. Former girlfriend of Cedric Diggory. Member of "Dumbledore's Army".|
|Vincent Crabbe||Slytherin||Jamie Waylett||Draco's friend|
|Cedric Diggory||Hufflepuff||Robert Pattinson||Captain of the Hufflepuff Quidditch team. Took part in the Triwizard Tournament. Took Cho Chang to the Yule Ball. Killed by Voldemort's "Avada Kedavra" curse.|
|Gregory Goyle||Slytherin||Joshua Herdman||Draco's friend|
|Neville Longbottom||Gryffindor||Matthew Lewis||Harry's friend. Member of "Dumbledore's Army." Has a pet toad. Great in Herbology. Killed Voldemort's snake, Nagini, the sixth horcux, in the Final Battle, making it possible for Harry to finally kill Voldemort.|
|Luna Lovegood||Ravenclaw||Evanna Lynch||Harry's friend. The strange, yet wise one. Member of "Dumbledore's Army".|
|Susan Bones||Hufflepuff||Eleanor Columbus||She is a student we see in the first movie of Harry Potter. She is in Hufflepuff. Her grandparents have been killed by Voldemort.|
Death Eaters[change | change source]
|Yaxley||Peter Mullan||An undercover ministry worker in the Deathly Hallows.|
|Narcissa Malfoy||Helen McCrory||Husband and wife, parents to Draco Malfoy.|
|Lucius Malfoy||Jason Issacs|
|Pius Thicknesse||Guy Henry||Imperiused Minister of Magic|
|Peter Pettigrew||Timothy Spall||Peter ran away from the Death Eater race by becoming
a rat that is missing a toe. While a rat, he was Ron Weasly's
pet, Scabbers. In the 3rd book he was found out but escaped into the
welcoming arms of Voldemort.
|Bellatrix Lestrange||Helena Bonham Carter||She is the sister of Narcissa Malfoy. She is a devoted follower of Voldemort and responsible for the death of Sirius Black.|
|Draco Malfoy||Tom Felton||Followed in his parent's footprints and became a Death Eater in his 6th year of school.|
|Severus Snape||Alan Rickman||Potions professor at Hogwarts and former Death Eater. He poses as a Death Eater to spy on Voldemort for Dumbledore.|
Other characters[change | change source]
- Vernon Dursley (played by Richard Griffiths) is the uncle of Harry Potter. He usually treats Harry badly.
- Petunia Dursley is Vernon's husband and Harry's aunt. Like Vernon, she usually treats Harry badly.
- Dobby is a house-elf who used to belong to the Malfoy family. Unlike other house-elves, Dobby wishes to be free.
- Merope is the descendant of Salazar Slytherin and is also the mother of Lord Voldermort.
- Michael Corner is Ginny's boyfriend who makes Harry jealous in the later books.
- Madame Rosmerta is the owner of 'The Three Broomsticks', the pub where butterbeer is often served.
- Madame Malkins is the owner of the wizard robes shop.
- Mr Ollivander Wandmaker, owner of Ollivanders, was taken away by the death eaters, but is broken out of his cell by Dobby and Harry Potter.
- Rita Skeeter Reporter for the Daily Prophet, author of The Life and Lies of Albus Dumbledore, Animagus.
- Stanley Shunpike is the conductor of the Knight Bus, emergency transport for the stranded witch or wizard.
Other websites[change | change source]
Official sites[change | change source]
- J.K. Rowling's personal website
- All you need to know about Harry Potter
- Official Harry Potter movies website (Warner Bros.)
- Harry Potter on Bloomsbury.com (International publisher)
- Harry Potter on Scholastic.com (US publisher)
- Amazon.com Official Harry Potter Store
- Harry Potter on Raincoast.com (Canadian publisher)
Other resources[change | change source]
- Muggles' Guide to Harry Potter
- Harry Potter Wikia
- Harry Potter Bibliography
- Hermione Granger's Biography