From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|— City —|
|Lamar County and the state of Alabama|
|• Total||5.9 sq mi (15.3 km2)|
|• Land||5.9 sq mi (15.3 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||295 ft (90 m)|
|• Density||363.2/sq mi (140.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0153839|
Notable residents [change]
- Dan Penn, songwriter, born in Vernon.
- Mitch Lucas, Christian evangelist/missionary, raised in Vernon.
- Troy Hankins, successful Alaskan businessman and entrepreneur born and raised in Vernon.
- Terry Moore, born in Vernon, major league baseball player
- Guy Morton, born in Vernon, major league baseball player
- Reuben Houston "Rube" Burrow--The most wanted outlaw of the late 1880s, he committed a series of train robberies along with his younger brother James Buchanan "Jim" Burrow.