Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Centuries:||11th century – 12th century – 13th century|
|Decades:||1080s 1090s 1100s – 1110s – 1120s 1130s 1140s|
|Years:||1116 1117 1118 – 1119 – 1120 1121 1122|
Events[change | change source]
By area[change | change source]
Asia[change | change source]
- June 28 – Battle of Ager Sanguinis: Ilghazi, the ruler of Aleppo, wipes out a Crusader army from the Principality of Antioch.
- August 14 – Battle of Hab: Baldwin II of Jerusalem's Crusaders defeat Ilghazi's army, saving Antioch.
Europe[change | change source]
- August 20 – Battle of Bremule: Henry I of England routs Louis VI.
- September 19 – Severe Earthquake in Gloucestershire & Warwickshire, England.
- Robert Bruce, 1st Lord of Cleveland and Annandale, grants and confirms the church of St. Hilda of Middleburg (Middlesbrough) to Whitby.
By topic[change | change source]
Religion[change | change source]
- February 2 – Pope Callixtus II succeeds Pope Gelasius II as the 162nd pope.
- Knights Templar Founded by Hugh de Payns.
- Councils of Toulouse and Reims.
Technology[change | change source]
- In his Pingzhou Table Talks published in this year, the Song Dynasty Chinese writer Zhu Yu writes of the earliest known use of separate hull compartments in ships.
- Zhu Yu's book is the first to report the use of a magnetic compass for navigation at sea, although the first actual description of the magnetic compass is by another Chinese writer Shen Kuo in his Dream Pool Essays published in 1088.
Births[change | change source]
Deaths[change | change source]
- January 24 – Pope Gelasius II
- July 17 – Baldwin VII of Flanders
- Alan IV, Duke of Brittany
- Roger of Salerno, regent of Antioch
- Henry de Beaumont, 1st Earl of Warwick
References[change | change source]
- Stratton, J.M. (1969). Agricultural Records. John Baker. ISBN 0-212-97022-4.
- McGrank, Lawrence (1981). "Norman crusaders and the Catalan reconquest: Robert Burdet and te principality of Tarragona 1129-55". Journal of Medieval History. 7 (1): 67–82.
- Weber, N. "Petrobrusians". Catholic Encyclopedia. Retrieved January 27, 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)