Logo since 2000
|Cadabra, Inc. (1994–95)|
|Founded||July 5, 1994|
Bellevue, Washington, U.S.
|Revenue||US$386.064 billion (2020)|
|US$22.9 billion (2020)|
|US$21.331 billion (2020)|
|Total assets||US$321.2 billion (2020)|
|Total equity||US$93.404 billion (2020)|
Number of employees
| 1,298,000 (Dec. 2020)|
U.S.: 810,000 (Oct. 2020)
|Footnotes / references|
Amazon.com, Inc., known as Amazon (//), is an American online business and cloud computing company. It was founded on July 5, 1994 by Jeff Bezos. It is based in Seattle, Washington. It is the largest Internet-based store in the world by total sales and market capitalization. Amazon.com started as an online bookstore. When it got bigger, it started selling DVDs, Blu-rays, CDs, video downloads/streaming, MP3s, audiobooks, software, video games, electronics, apparel, furniture, food, toys, and jewelry. It also makes consumer electronics like Kindle e-readers, Fire tablets, Fire TV, and Echo. It is the world's largest provider of cloud computing services. Amazon also sells products like USB cables using the name AmazonBasics.
Amazon has separate retail websites for the United States, the United Kingdom, Ireland, France, Canada, Germany, Italy, Spain, Netherlands, Australia, Brazil, Japan, China, India, and Mexico. Amazon also offers international shipping to some countries for some of its products. In 2016, Dutch, Polish, and Turkish language versions of the German Amazon website were launched.
Subsidiaries[change | change source]
Other reading[change | change source]
- Brandt, Richard L. (2011). One Click: Jeff Bezos and the Rise of Amazon.com. New York: Portfolio Penguin. ISBN 978-1-59184-375-7. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Daisey, Mike (2002). 21 Dog Years. Free Press. ISBN 0-7432-2580-5. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Friedman, Mara (2004). Amazon.com for Dummies. Wiley Publishing. ISBN 0-7645-5840-4.
- Marcus, James (2004). Amazonia: Five Years at the Epicenter of the Dot.Com Juggernaut. W. W. Norton. ISBN 1-56584-870-5.
- Spector, Robert (2000). Amazon.com – Get Big Fast: Inside the Revolutionary Business Model That Changed the World. HarperCollins. ISBN 0-06-662041-4.
- Stone, Brad (2013). The Everything Store: Jeff Bezos and the Age of Amazon. New York: Little Brown and Co. ISBN 978-0-316-21926-6. OCLC 856249407. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
References[change | change source]
- https://www.sec.gov/ix?doc=/Archives/edgar/data/1018724/000101872421000004/amzn-20201231.htm#i75de98b9097f40f3b5884e541f532421_73. Retrieved February 6, 2021.
- http://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/27/technology/pushed-by-pandemic-amazon-goes-on-a-hiring-spree-without-equal.html. Retrieved December 20, 2020.
- Annual report 2019. Seattle, Washington: Amazon. December 31, 2019. Archived from the original on February 26, 2020. Retrieved May 1, 2020.
- "Amazon.com, Inc. Common Stock (AMZN) Financials". www.nasdaq.com.
- "Form 10-K". Amazon.com. December 31, 2018. Archived from the original on April 20, 2019. Retrieved April 12, 2019.
- "California Secretary of State Business Search". Businesssearch.sos.ca.gov.
- "Amazon bought Whole Foods a year ago. Here's what has changed". Yahoo! Finance.
- Jopson, Barney (July 12, 2011). "Amazon urges California referendum on online tax". Financial Times. Archived from the original on July 14, 2011. Retrieved August 4, 2011. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Inside Amazon: Wrestling Big Ideas in a Bruising Workplace". The New York Times. August 16, 2015.
- Synergy Research Group, Reno, NV. "Microsoft Cloud Revenues Leap; Amazon is Still Way Out in Front - Synergy Research Group". srgresearch.com.CS1 maint: uses authors parameter (link)
- "Amazon.com, Form 10-K, Annual Report, Filing Date Jan 30, 2013" (PDF). SEC database. Retrieved February 26, 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Now you can visit Amazon.de in Dutch". Amazon news. 2016-10-04. Retrieved 2016-10-19.
- "Amazon jedną nogą w Polsce". Archived from the original on 2016-10-19. Retrieved 2016-10-19.
- "Amazon Germany now available in Turkish". November 10, 2016. Retrieved February 20, 2017.
- "Amazon Jobs – Work for a Subsidiary". Archived from the original on August 1, 2014. Retrieved October 27, 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
Other websites[change | change source]
Media related to Amazon.com at Wikimedia Commons