BBC Radio 4
|BBC Radio 4|
|City of license||London|
|Broadcast area||United Kingdom|
|Frequency||FM: 92–95 MHz, 103–105 MHz|
LW: 198 kHz
MW: 603 kHz, 720 kHz, 774 kHz, 756 kHz, 1449 kHz, 1485 kHz
Freesat: 704 (FM), 710 (LW)
Freeview: 704 (FM)
Sky (UK only): 0104 (FM), 0143 (LW)
Virgin Media: 904 (FM), 911 (LW)
Virgin Media Ireland: 910 (FM)
|First air date||30 September 1967|
|Format||News, talk, comedy and drama|
|Former callsigns||BBC Home Service|
|Sister stations||BBC Radio 4 Extra|
|Website||BBC Radio 4|
Outline[change | change source]
Radio 4 is the second most popular British domestic radio station after Radio 2. It was named "UK Radio Station of the Year" at the 2008 Sony Radio Academy Awards, an award it had also won in 2003 and 2004.
Radio 4 costs £71.4 million a year, and is the BBC's most expensive national radio network. Many people think of it as the corporation's flagship. There is currently no commercial network like it in the UK, although there are similar publicly owned stations in such countries as Sweden (Sveriges Radio P1) and Australia (Radio National).
Music and sport are the only subjects that generally fall outside the station's coverage. There are occasional concerts on Radio 4, and ball-by-ball commentaries of most test matches played by England cricket are broadcast on longwave. Because the longwave service can be received clearly at sea around the coasts of Britain and Ireland, Radio 4 also carries regular weather forecasts for shipping and gale warnings. The station has also been designated as the UK's national broadcaster in times of national emergency such as a war, meaning that even if all other radio stations were forced to close, Radio 4 would still carry on broadcasting.
References[change | change source]
- "History of the BBC: 1960s" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2006-08-13. Retrieved 2008-08-21.
- "The Sony Radio Academy Awards: Winners 2008". Archived from the original on 2009-01-09. Retrieved 2008-08-21.
- The Sony Radio Academy Awards: Winners 2003[permanent dead link]
- The Sony Radio Academy Awards: Winners 2004[permanent dead link]
- "BBC Annual Report and Accounts 2005/2006, page 106" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2012-03-13. Retrieved 2008-08-21.
- "Met Office Shipping Forecast key". Archived from the original on 2009-07-06. Retrieved 2008-08-21.