Basic English (Business Academic Scientific International Commercial) is a constructed (made-up) language to explain complex thoughts. It has 850 basic English words chosen by Charles Kay Ogden. Some articles in the Simple English Wikipedia use only Basic English.
History[change | change source]
Rules of word use[change | change source]
The word use of Basic English is simpler and more regular than the word use of the normal English. In normal English, words often have a number of different meanings. To make Basic English easier, not all the meanings of a word are allowed.
- -s / -es / -ies change singular nouns into plural nouns.
- -ing / -ed change verbs into adjectives.
- -ing / -er change verbs into nouns.
- -ly change adjectives into adverbs.
- -er / -est or more / most describe amounts.
- un- changes the meanings of adjectives into their opposites.
- The opposite word order with do makes questions.
- 'Operators' (verbs) and pronouns change as in normal English.
- Make combined words (compounds) from two nouns (for example "milkman") or a noun and a direction ("sundown").
- Measures, numbers, money, days, months, years, clock time, and international words are in English forms. E.g. Date/Time: 20 May 1972 at 21:00
- Use the words of an industry or science. For example, in this grammar, some special words are for teaching languages, and not part of Basic English: plural, conjugation, noun, adjective, adverb, qualifier, operator, pronoun, and directive.
Related pages[change | change source]
- Basic English 850 word list
- Basic English international wordlist
- Basic English compound wordlist
- Basic English combined wordlist
References[change | change source]
- Ogden C.K. 1940. General Basic English dictionary. London: Evans Brothers. ISBN 0874713625
- The dictionary for Simple English
Other websites[change | change source]
- Ogden's Basic English
- Basic English Utility
- Automatic online simplifying and summarizing tool. - Detect language and convert to Basic English or summarize many documents into standard or Basic English, reading material and Basic English course included.