Simple English Wikipedia
Type of site
|Online encyclopedia project|
|Headquarters||Miami, Florida, United States|
|Launched||September 18, 2001|
The Simple English Wikipedia is often used by:
The difference between the regular Wikipedia and Simple English Wikipedia is how articles are written. Experts use academic language or technical words (also known as a jargon) as a way to sound fancy, but this may confuse a lot of readers who have never heard of those words and it may take longer for them to read as they have to look up what a complex word means. Wikipedia tends to write using jargon, but in Simple English Wikipedia, editors try their best to make it easy and quick for readers to understand by using plain and simple English without using jargon.
When Simple English Wikipedia started making pages and allowing changes in 2003, the English Wikipedia already had 150,000 articles. Seven other Wikipedias in other languages also had over 15,000 articles. Because the other Wikipedias already have a lot of articles, most Simple English articles are not new. They are usually simpler versions of already existing articles from the ordinary English Wikipedia. Right now, the Simple English Wikipedia has 216,291 articles. Simple English Wikipedia is the 49th largest Wikipedia as of February 2022.
Related pages[change | change source]
- English Wikipedia
- Wikipedia administrators
- Wikipedia:Simple English Wikipedia
- Simple English Wiktionary
- Simple English: a list of articles about attempts to simplify English
References[change | change source]
- Tim Dowling (January 14, 2008). "Wikipedia too long-winded for you? Try the simple version". The Guardian. Retrieved 2009-05-17.
- "Simple English Wikipedia - Meta". meta.wikimedia.org. Retrieved 2021-11-23.
- Koen Smets. "Automatic Vandalism Detection in Wikipedia: Towards a Machine Learning Approach" (PDF). University of Antwerp. Retrieved 2009-05-17.
- Wikimedia list of Wikipedias and their statistics Retrieved 24 December 2020.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Simple English Wikipedia.|