Simple English Wikipedia
|Type of site||Internet encyclopedia project|
|Launched||November 17, 2003|
The Simple English Wikipedia is an English-language version of Wikipedia, an online encyclopedia, that is written at a basic level of English. It was created on November 17, 2003. All of the articles in the Simple English Wikipedia need to use shorter sentences and easier words and grammar than the regular English Wikipedia.
People with different needs use the Simple English Wikipedia. They include:
- Adults who might find it hard to learn or read (including because of learning disability)
- People who are learning English as a second language
Other people use the Simple English Wikipedia because the basic language helps them understand hard ideas or topics they do not know about.
Many articles are shorter than the same articles in the English Wikipedia. Technical subjects use some terms which are not simple. Editors try to explain these terms in a simple way. This makes Simple English articles a good way to understand difficult articles from the ordinary English Wikipedia. If someone cannot understand an idea in complex English, they can read the Simple English article.
When the Simple English Wikipedia began in 2003, the ordinary English Wikipedia already had 150,000 articles, and seven other Wikipedias in other languages had over 15,000 articles. Since the other Wikipedias already have so many articles, most Simple English articles take articles from other Wikipedias and make them simple; they are usually not new articles. Right now, the Simple English Wikipedia has 138,533 articles. As of October 2017, it was the 51st largest Wikipedia.
Related pages[change | change source]
- English Wikipedia
- Wikipedia administrators
- Wikipedia:Simple English Wikipedia
- Simple English Wiktionary
- Vikidia, an online Wiki-based encyclopedia written by and for children
References[change | change source]
- Tim Dowling (January 14, 2008). "Wikipedia too long-winded for you? Try the simple version". The Guardian. Retrieved 2009-05-17.
- Koen Smets; et al. "Automatic Vandalism Detection in Wikipedia: Towards a Machine Learning Approach" (PDF). University of Antwerp. Retrieved 2009-05-17.
- Wikimedia list of Wikipedias and their statistics Retrieved 21 October 2017.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Simple English Wikipedia.|