Simple English Wikipedia
Type of site
|Online encyclopedia project|
|Launched||September 18, 2001|
The Simple English Wikipedia is an English-language version of Wikipedia, an online encyclopedia, written in a language that is easy to understand but is still natural and grammatical.
All of the articles in the Simple English Wikipedia use shorter sentences and easier words and grammar than the regular English Wikipedia. The language used here is plain English, without idioms, slang and jargon (when possible). Some articles are written only in Basic English, which is even simpler. This makes articles easier to understand and edit. If someone cannot understand an idea in the regular English Wikipedia, they can read a Simple English article.
The Simple English Wikipedia is often used by:
When Simple English Wikipedia started making pages and allowing changes in 2003, the English Wikipedia already had 150,000 articles. Seven other Wikipedias in other languages also had over 15,000 articles. Because the other Wikipedias already have a lot of articles, most Simple English articles are not new. They are usually simpler versions of already existing articles from the ordinary English Wikipedia. Right now, the Simple English Wikipedia has 228,103 articles. Simple English Wikipedia started on September 18, 2001and is the 47th largest Wikipedia, as of January 2023.
Related pages[change | change source]
- English Wikipedia
- Wikipedia administrators
- Wikipedia:Simple English Wikipedia
- Simple English Wiktionary
- Simple English: a list of articles about attempts to simplify English
References[change | change source]
- ↑ Tim Dowling (January 14, 2008). "Wikipedia too long-winded for you? Try the simple version". The Guardian. Retrieved 2009-05-17.
- ↑ Koen Smets. "Automatic Vandalism Detection in Wikipedia: Towards a Machine Learning Approach" (PDF). University of Antwerp. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-06-04. Retrieved 2009-05-17.
- ↑ "Simple English Wikipedia - Meta". meta.wikimedia.org. Retrieved 2021-11-23.
- ↑ Wikimedia list of Wikipedias and their statistics. Retrieved 21 January 2023.