As of October 2015, it is the 47th largest edition of Wikipedia by number of articles.
Vicipaedia is the largest Wikipedia in a dead language, (a language that is no longer anyone's mother tongue). There are several reasons why people continue to use Latin. Students learn it in schools and universities because of its influence on culture and science, especially in Europe. People still read Latin classics such as the poems of Virgil, the memoirs of Caesar and the speeches of Cicero. Also, Latin is widely used as an international auxiliary language, notably in the Catholic Church, and by biologists when describing and naming new species.
References[change | change source]
- Specialis:Census from the Latin Wikipedia
- Wikimedia list of Wikipedias and their statistics.. Retrieved 25 October 2015.
Other websites[change | change source]
- Latin Wikipedia's Main page
- "Veni Vidi Wiki: Latin Isn't Dead On Vicipaedia" (from The Wall Street Journal, 29 September 2007)
- "In praise of . . . Latin" (from The Guardian, 3 October 2007)