|Type of site||Internet encyclopedia project|
|Created by||Italian wiki community|
The Italian Wikipedia (In Italian: Wikipedia in Italiano) is the Italian-language edition of Wikipedia. This edition was started in January, 2002 and has over 1,230,000 articles. It is currently the 9th largest edition by article count.
2011 mass blanking protest[change | change source]
Volunteers on the Italian Wikipedia decided they did not like a proposed law before the Italian Parliament. The proposal was from October 4 to October 6 2011. During this time, all of the site's articles were hidden. Wikipedia's administrators blocked the website which was being debated at the time in the Chamber of Deputies of the Italian parliament.
This was the first time that a Wikipedia had blanked all its content to protest. The Wikimedia Foundation released a statement on October 4. The Foundation Board officially supported the short closing of Italian Wikipedia. In October 2011, the manifesto, which replaced the Italian Wikipedia, had been viewed approximately 19 million times. On October 6, 2011, the website content was put back. Wikipedia added a banner across the top of each page explaining the reason for the protest.
Italian newspaper Il Tempo journalist Alberto Di Majo described the closure of the Italian-language Wikipedia as an "unexpected merit" of the proposed law. Some people questioned whether a non-profit United States foundation should try to change laws written in Italy.
References[change | change source]
- Statistics at Italian Wikipedia, Retrieved 24 October 2015
- "List of Wikipedias". Meta-Wiki. Wikimedia Foundation. Retrieved October 23, 2015.
- paragraph 29 of the DDL intercettazioni (Wiretapping Bill)
- "Camera dei Deputati: disegno di legge N. 1415-B". Camera dei Deputati (in Italian). Retrieved October 4, 2011. External link in
- "Wikimedia blog » Blog Archive » Regarding recent events on Italian Wikipedia". Blog.wikimedia.org. Retrieved 2011-10-05.
- Official announcement (English version); permanent link: http://it.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia:Comunicato_4_ottobre_2011&oldid=43934170.
- "Intercettazioni, Wikipedia protesta – Homepage in bianco: "Inaccettabile ddl"". la Repubblica (in Italian). October 4, 2011. Retrieved October 4, 2011. (Archived at WebCite)
- "Wikipedia Hides Italian Language Edition to Protest New Law | PCWorld Business Center". Pcworld.com. Retrieved 2011-10-05.
- "Wikipedia article traffic statistics". Stats.grok.se. Retrieved 2013-07-19. (Archived at WebCite)
- Wikipedia protesta? Meglio, c'è la Treccani - Il Tempo, October 5, 2011 (in Italian)
- Ngo, Don (October 4, 2011). "Italian-language Wikipedia hidden, may shut down". Cnet. Retrieved November 19, 2011.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Italian Wikipedia.|