City Hall MRT station
Exit B of City Hall MRT station with St Andrew's Cathedral in the background.
|Location||150 North Bridge Road|
|Operated by||SMRT Trains (SMRT Corporation) (North South and East West Lines)|
|Line(s)||North South line East West line|
|Platforms||4 (2 island platforms)|
|Parking||Yes (Raffles City)|
|Opened||12 December 1987|
|Previous names||St. Andrew's|
City Hall MRT station (NS25/EW13) is an underground Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) interchange station in Singapore, that has received very high passenger number all the while. It is named after the national monument - City Hall before National Gallery took over in 2015. It provides cross platform interchange between the two lines.
It is located in the Civic District in the Downtown Core, which is within the Central Area, the city centre of Singapore. It is situated underground, beneath the junction of Stamford Road and North Bridge Road, and is thus east of the Singapore River. The commercial district of Raffles Place and its respective station is located across the Singapore River.
History[change | change source]
Before this station was built, it was called St Andrew's. It was renamed to City Hall in 1984.
Incidents[change | change source]
This station was part of the series of 2011 MRT train disruptions on 15 and 17 December 2011. The disruption was caused by a misalignment between the trains' current collector shoes and the third rail. The disruption was one of Singapore's two largest MRT disruptions at the time of occurrence.
A power failure and blackout occurred at the station on 6 July 2012 at about 1.30 pm, causing the platforms for north and west-bound trains to turn pitch black. Emergency lighting was turned on immediately after the incident occurred. However, train services were not affected by the incident. Lighting was progressively restored from 2 pm, and was back to normal at 3.15 pm. All escalators have also been turned on. SMRT has apologised for any inconvenience caused.
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- Foreman died at City Hall MRT Station
- Low, Ignatius (December 16, 2011). "Singapore's MRT Breakdown Chaos Leaves Thousands Stranded". The Straits Times. Retrieved November 3, 2012.
- "MRT breaks down again". Channel NewsAsia. 2011-12-17.
- "North-South Line service resumes after 7-hour disruption". Channel NewsAsia. 2011-12-17.
- "Service disruption on North-South Line on 17 Dec 2011" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2012-04-14.
- "Power blackout at City Hall MRT station". Channel NewsAsia. July 6, 2012.
- "City Hall MRT lights, escalators back on after blackout". Channel NewsAsia. July 6, 2012.
Other websites[change | change source]
Media related to City Hall MRT Station at Wikimedia Commons