Cook County, Illinois
Cook County, Illinois
|Metro area||Chicago Metropolitan|
|Incorporated||January 15, 1831|
|Named for||Daniel Cook|
|• Body||Board of Commissioners|
|• Board President||Toni R. Preckwinkle (D)|
|• County Board||17 commissioners|
|• County||1,635 sq mi (4,230 km2)|
|• Land||945 sq mi (2,450 km2)|
|• Water||690 sq mi (1,800 km2)|
|• Metro||10,874 sq mi (28,160 km2)|
|Area rank||6th largest county in Illinois|
|Highest elevation||950 ft (290 m)|
|Lowest elevation||580 ft (180 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Rank||1st largest county in Illinois|
2nd largest county in U.S.
|• Density||5,530/sq mi (2,140/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (Central)|
|ZIP Code prefixes|
600xx thru 608xx
|Area codes||224/847, 312/872, 773/872, 708|
|Congressional districts||1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th,|
8th, 9th 10th and 11th
|GNIS feature ID||1784766|
|Airports||Chicago O'Hare International|
Chicago Midway International
|Waterways||Lake Michigan – Chicago River|
Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal
Calumet River – Des Plaines River
North Shore Channel
|Amtrak stations||Chicago Union Station|
Glenview – Homewood
La Grange – Summit
|Public transit||Chicago Transit Authority (CTA)|
Metra – Pace – South Shore Line
About 5,231,000 people live in Cook County. This is 40.6 percent of all the people who live in Illinois. Cook County's population is more than the population of 29 U.S. states. More people live in Cook County than in the seven smallest U.S. states combined. There is a tax on canned beverages in Cook County.
References[change | change source]
- "Lowest and Highest Points in Cook County". Illinois State Geological Survey. Retrieved 2016-11-30.
Greater than 950 ft max and Less than 580 ft min
- Streamwood Quadrangle – Illinois – Cook Co (Map). 1:24,000. 7.5-Minute Series (Topographic). United States Geological Survey. 2013.
- Chicago Loop Quadrangle – Illinois – Cook Co (Map). 1:24,000. 7.5-Minute Series (Topographic). United States Geological Survey. 2013.
- http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/clout_st/2008/07/cook-county-boa.html | Clout St: Cook County Board rejects sales tax increase repeal
- "Cook County QuickFacts". US Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 16 July 2015. Retrieved 22 June 2013.
- "County Population Estimates".
Other websites[change | change source]
Media related to Cook County, Illinois at Wikimedia Commons