Musk at the Royal Society admissions day in London, July 2018
Elon Reeve Musk
June 28, 1971
|Residence||Bel Air, Los Angeles, California, United States|
|Net worth||US$18.2 billion (May 2019)|
|Children||6 (1 deceased)|
|Awards||Fellow of the Royal Society (2018)|
Elon Reeve Musk FRS (born June 28, 1971) is a businessman and investor. He was born in South Africa, moved to Canada, then became an American. Musk is the current CEO & Chief Product Architect of Tesla Motors, a company that makes electric vehicles, the CEO of Solar City, a company that makes solar panels, and the CEO & CTO of SpaceX, an aerospace company.
As of April of 2016, he was worth over $10 billion, making him the 37th most wealthy American. Musk is also known for helping design and create the Falcon Heavy rocket, which successfully launched on the 6th of February of 2018.
Elon Musk and his brother started Zip2, a software company, in 1995. In 1999 he sold it and become a millionaire. He then started X.com, which merged with the company Confinity to make PayPal. X.com was then renamed to Paypal, and he focused on growing that part of the company. He then started SpaceX and became the CEO of Tesla.
Musk was born to a Canadian mother and a South African-born British father in Pretoria, South Africa. His parents divorced in 1980 and he mainly lived with his father in many different places in South Africa. He went to Waterkloof House Preparatory School and graduated from Pretoria Boys High School. He then moved to Canada in 1988 when he was 17, after he obtained Canadian citizenship through his mother. He got it before his South African military service was to begin. He felt that it would be easier to immigrate to the United States from Canada than from South Africa.
He spent two years at the Queen's School of Business in Kingston, Ontario. He then transferred to the University of Pennsylvania where he earned a bachelor's degree in economics from the Wharton School. He stayed a year to finish his second bachelor's degree in physics. Then he moved to California to attempt to get a PhD in applied physics at Stanford but he left the program after only two days because he wanted to pursue his entrepreneurial aspirations (start businesses) in the Internet, renewable energy and outer space. He became an American citizen in 2002.
At the end of 2016, Musk founded The Boring Company which focuses on tunnelling and infrastructure. He mentioned Los Angeles traffic as the reason for starting this company. In March 2017 Elon Musk announced he has started another company which aims to merge human brains and computers, it is called Neuralink.
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "Billionaire Tesla CEO Elon Musk Buys Neighbor's Home in Bel Air For Million". Forbes. Retrieved November 1, 2013.
- "Inside Elon Musk's M Bel Air Mansion". Bloomberg News. Archived from the original on February 7, 2015. Retrieved August 21, 2013. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Elon Musk". Forbes. Retrieved May 23, 2019.
- "List of billionaires". Forbes. Retrieved May 1, 2016.
- "Tesla Motors and PayPal co-founder Elon Musk buys $17 million Bel Air mansion". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved June 13, 2014.
- "Something New Under the Sun". Slate. Retrieved June 13, 2014.
- "At Home With Elon Musk: The (Soon-to-Be) Bachelor Billionaire". Forbes. Retrieved June 13, 2014.
- "Rocket Man: The otherworldly ambitions of Elon Musk". San Jose Mercury News. Retrieved June 13, 2014.
- "Inspirations with Elon Musk". OnInnovation. Retrieved June 13, 2014.
- "Triumph of His Will". Esquire. Retrieved June 13, 2014.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Elon Musk.|