|Established||February 2010 (as a TV series)|
August 2012 (as a developmental territory)
|Location||Winter Park, Florida|
WWE NXT is a professional wrestling promotion based in Winter Park, Florida. It is the official developmental territory for WWE.
History[change | change source]
NXT was started as Florida Championship Wrestling, typically shortened to FCW Steve Keirn in 2007 to be WWE's second developmental territory when they ended their relationship with Deep South Wrestling in 2007. It became their only developmental territory in early 2008 when they ended their relationship with Ohio Valley Wrestling.
FCW's first show was on June 26, 2007 in Tampa, Florida. A 21 man Battle Royal was held during the show, with Harry Smith winning to become the first ever FCW Southern Heavyweight Champion. The next year, the FCW Florida Heavyweight Championship was introduced, with Jake Hager becoming the first champion at a battle royal on February 15, 2008 and defeating Ted DiBiase, Jr.. The FCW Florida Tag Team Championship was also introduced in February, with the Puerto Rican Nightmares (Eddie Colón and Eric Perez) beating Steven Lewington and Heath Miller to win it in the finals of a tournament. The two heavyweight titles were later unified, keeping the "Florida Heavyweight" name.
FCW regularly ran shows every Tuesday at Bourbon Street Nightclub, as well as shows on other nights at other venues in and around the Central Florida area. As NXT Wrestling, it now runs live shows ar several locations around Florida.
In August 2012, WWE retired all FCW championship belts and changed the promotion's name to "NXT". WWE had previously used NXT for a reality television program that featured FCW wrestlers trying to earn a WWE contract. WWE NXT, which had been the name of the reality show, is now used as the title of their TV show.
Since it started a TV show at Full Sail University in Winter Park, Florida, NXT has had six championships: the NXT Championship, the NXT Tag Team Championship, the NXT Women's Championship, the NXT North American Championship, the NXT Cruiserweight Championship and the NXT Women's Tag Team Championship. The show also featured the WWE United Kingdom Championship before NXT UK started.
Roster[change | change source]
Champions[change | change source]
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Fox, Geoff (2007-09-08). "Area Wrestling Will Continue Under A New State Banner". The Tampa Tribune. Archived from the original on 2008-12-20. Retrieved 2007-10-24.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 "About page". NXT Wrestling. Archived from the original on 2013-05-31. Retrieved 2012-09-17.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 "WWE Ceases affiliation with Ohio Valley Wrestling". WWE Corporate. 2008-02-06. Archived from the original on 2008-02-10. Retrieved 2008-02-06.
- ↑ "WWE ends relationship with DSW". WWE. Retrieved 2007-10-24.
- ↑ "FCW 2007 results". Online World of Wrestling. Retrieved 2007-10-24.
- ↑ Wojcik, Alan J. "Results from Florida on 2/5". Online World of Wrestling. Retrieved 2008-04-06.
- ↑ Wojcik, Alan J. "Results from Tampa on 2/15". Online World of Wrestling. Retrieved 2008-04-06.
- ↑ Wojcik, Alan J. "Results from Florida on 2/23". Online World of Wrestling. Retrieved 2008-04-06.
- ↑ "FCW Southern Heavyweight Title". Wrestling-Titles. Archived from the original on 2009-05-04. Retrieved 2008-04-06.
- ↑ "Events". Club Bourbon Street. Archived from the original on 2007-10-26. Retrieved 2007-10-28.
- ↑ Wrestling with the future (News report). Tampa, Florida: WTVT. 2007-12-06. Archived from the original on 2008-09-14. Retrieved 2007-12-07.
- ↑ "NXT Live Event Dates". NXT Wrestling. Retrieved 2012-09-17.
- ↑ "WWE News: FCW name being phased out". Wrestling Observer. Archived from the original on August 17, 2012. Retrieved August 14, 2012.