Green New Deal
The Green New Deal (GND) is the name of many proposed economic programs in the United States that would focus on economic inequality and climate change. It is named after Franklin D. Roosevelt's New Deal program from between 1933 and 1936.
U.S. Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Senator Ed Markey released a 14-page document about the GND on 7 February 2019. They want to push the United States to using 100% renewable, zero-emission energy sources. Their plan would also address poverty in the U.S., and implement universal health care. The American Action Network estimated the plan would cost at least $1 trillion, and the document did not show where the money would specifically come from.
Support[change | change source]
Criticism[change | change source]
U.S. President Donald Trump is against the idea of a Green New Deal. He said on Twitter: "I think it is very important for the Democrats to press forward with their Green New Deal. It would be great for the so-called “Carbon Footprint” to permanently eliminate all Planes, Cars, Cows, Oil, Gas & the Military - even if no other country would do the same. Brilliant!" 
References[change | change source]
- Jeremy Lovell (July 21, 2008) "Climate report calls for green 'New Deal'", Reuters.
- DePillis, Lydia (February 7, 2019). "Ocasio-Cortez's Green New Deal: What's in it". CNN. Retrieved February 7, 2019. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Resolution: Recognizing the duty of the Federal Government to create a Green New Deal" (PDF). United States House of Representatives. February 7, 2019. Retrieved February 7, 2019. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Green New Deal". GPUS. Archived from the original on November 17, 2018. Retrieved November 17, 2018.
- "GND-Full Language". GPUS. Archived from the original on December 8, 2018. Retrieved November 17, 2018.
- Homan, Timothy R. (November 24, 2018). "Five things to know about Ocasio-Cortez's 'Green New Deal'". TheHill. Archived from the original on November 26, 2018. Retrieved December 2, 2018.
- Burke, Michael (November 18, 2018). "John Lewis joins Ocasio-Cortez on climate change push". TheHill. Archived from the original on November 21, 2018. Retrieved December 8, 2018.
- Corbett, Jessica (November 7, 2018). "Saving Planet With 'Green New Deal' Proves Popular as Climate Hawks Celebrate Midterm Victories". Common Dreams. Archived from the original on November 13, 2018. Retrieved November 13, 2018.
- Trump, Donald (February 2019). "US Presidential Twitter Feed". Twitter.com. Retrieved February 9, 2019. Check
|archive-url=value (help)CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)