|54th United States Secretary of the Interior|
|Assumed office |
March 16, 2021
|Preceded by||David Bernhardt|
|Member of the U.S. House of Representatives|
from New Mexico's 1st district
January 3, 2019 – March 16, 2021
|Preceded by||Michelle Lujan Grisham|
|Succeeded by||Melanie Stansbury|
|Chair of the New Mexico Democratic Party|
April 25, 2015 – April 29, 2017
|Preceded by||Sam Bregman|
|Succeeded by||Richard Ellenberg|
Debra Anne Haaland
December 2, 1960
Winslow, Arizona, U.S.
|Education||University of New Mexico (BA, JD)|
Debra Anne Haaland (born December 2, 1960) is an American politician. Haaland has been the 54th and current United States Secretary of the Interior since March 2021. She was the U.S. Representative for New Mexico's 1st congressional district from January 3, 2019 until March 16, 2021.
On December 17, 2020, President-elect Joe Biden nominated Haaland to serve as United States Secretary of the Interior in his cabinet. She was confirmed by the United States Senate on March 15, 2021 with a 51 to 40 vote. She is the first Native American Cabinet secretary in U.S. history.[a]
Notes[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- The U.S. Is Getting Its First Native American Congresswoman as Deb Haaland won and will assume office in January 2019, Fortune, McKenna Moore, 7 June 2018. Retrieved August 13, 2018.
- Eilperin, Juliet; Grandoni, Dino. "Biden picks Rep. Deb Haaland (D-N.M.) to be first Native American interior secretary". Washington Post. ISSN 0190-8286. Archived from the original on December 17, 2020. Retrieved 2020-12-17.
- King, Ledyard. "Deb Haaland makes history as first Native American Cabinet member after Senate confirmation". USA TODAY. Retrieved 2021-03-16.
- Higgins, Tucker (2021-03-15). "Deb Haaland confirmed as first Native American Cabinet secretary". CNBC. Retrieved 2021-03-15.
- Dlouhy, Jennifer A.; Epstein, Jennifer (December 17, 2020). "Biden Picks Deb Haaland to Be First Native American Secretary of Interior". Bloomberg. Retrieved December 17, 2020.
- Rott, Nathan (December 17, 2020). "In Historic Move, Biden To Pick Native American Rep. Haaland As Interior Secretary". NPR. Retrieved December 17, 2020.
- Ortiz, Erik (December 18, 2020). ""They feel hope": Why Rep. Haaland, nominated as first Native American interior secretary, is meaningful". NBC News. Retrieved 2020-12-19.