|Chief Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit|
|Assumed office |
February 12, 2013
|Preceded by||David Sentelle|
|Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit|
|Assumed office |
March 20, 1997
|Appointed by||Bill Clinton|
|Preceded by||Abner Mikva|
Merrick Brian Garland
November 13, 1952
Chicago, Illinois, U.S.
Lynn Rosenman (m. 1987)
|Children||Rebecca (b. 1991)|
Jessica (b. 1993)
|Alma mater||Harvard University|
Merrick Brian Garland (born November 13, 1952) is an American federal judge. He is the chief judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit. He has served on that court since 1997.
Early life[change | change source]
Judicial career[change | change source]
Garland practiced corporate litigation at Arnold & Porter and worked as a federal prosecutor in the U.S. Department of Justice, where he played a leading role in the investigation and prosecution of the Oklahoma City bombers.
In 1995, Garland was appointed to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, and (following a delay in Senate confirmation) took the bench in 1997. In 2009 and 2010, Garland was considered by President Barack Obama for two openings on the Supreme Court.
Supreme Court nomination[change | change source]
After Republicans refused to give Garland a confirmation hearing, Garland's nomination was expired in January 2017 shortly before the inauguration of Donald Trump. Trump said he will announce his Justice nominee for the Supreme Court on January 31, 2017.
Personal life[change | change source]
Garland married Lynn in 1977. He lives in Bethesda, Maryland.
References[change | change source]
- Sherman, Mark; Holland, Jesse J.; Pace, Julie (April 5, 2010). "Supreme Court prospects are Kagan, Wood, Garland". The Boston Globe. Associated Press. ISSN 0743-1791. Archived from the original on March 14, 2016.
- Reena Flores & Rebecca Shabad (March 16, 2016). "Who is Merrick Garland?". CBS News. Retrieved March 16, 2016.CS1 maint: Uses authors parameter (link)
- Shear, Michael D.; Harris, Gardiner (March 16, 2016). "Obama Chooses Merrick Garland for Supreme Court". New York Times.
- Juliet Eilperin, Mike DeBonis and Jerry Markon (March 16, 2016). "President Obama nominates Merrick Garland to the Supreme Court". Washington Post.CS1 maint: Uses authors parameter (link)
- Sarah Wheaton, Josh Gerstein & Seung Min Kim, Obama picks Merrick Garland for Supreme Court, Politico (March 16, 2016).
- "Merrick Garland Is The Oldest Supreme Court Nominee Since Nixon Was President". FiveThirtyEight. March 16, 2016.