|Established||8 August 1930|
|• Total||1,840 km2 (710 sq mi)|
|• Density||43/km2 (110/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+4 (AZT)|
Lachin District (Azerbaijani: Laçın rayonu) is one of the 66 districts of Azerbaijan. It is located in the west of the country and belongs to the Eastern Zangezur Economic Region. The district borders the districts of Kalbajar, Khojaly, Shusha, Khojavend, Qubadli, and the Syunik Province of Armenia. Its capital and largest city is Lachin. As of 2020, the district had a nominal population of 78,600.
The district was occupied by Armenia in 1992 and all of its original Azerbaijani population was either expelled or killed. Armenian forces controlled the district from 1992 until late 2020, when the district was returned to Azerbaijan per the 2020 Nagorno-Karabakh ceasefire agreement which ended the 2020 Nagorno-Karabakh war.
References[change | change source]
- "İnzibati-ərazi vahidləri" (PDF). preslib.az. Retrieved 28 February 2021.
- "Population of Azerbaijan". stat.gov.az. State Statistics Committee. Retrieved 22 February 2021.
- "Azərbaycan Respublikasında iqtisadi rayonların yeni bölgüsü haqqında Azərbaycan Respublikası Prezidentinin Fərmanı".
- "The conflict over the Nagorno-Karabakh region dealt with by the OSCE Minsk Conference". Retrieved 2020-05-09.
- "Azerbaijani Forces Enter Third District Under Nagorno-Karabakh Truce". RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty. Retrieved 2020-11-30.