|• Župan||Darko Milinović (HDZ)|
|• Total||5,353 km2 (2,067 sq mi)|
|• Density||9.5/km2 (25/sq mi)|
|ISO 3166 code||HR-09|
high · 14th
Lika-Senj County (Croatian pronunciation: [lǐːka sɛ̂ːɲ], Croatian: Ličko-senjska županija) is a county of Croatia. It includes most of the Lika region and some coastline on the Adriatic. It also includes the northern part of the Pag island. The seat of the county is Gospić.
The county is the least populated (with 50,927 inhabitants in 2011) and one of the poorest. It is the largest Croatian county by area. It includes the Plitvice Lakes National Park and Sjeverni Velebit National Park. These are some of Croatia's major tourist attractions. The county has a total area of 5353 km2.
Administrative divisions[change | change source]
Lika-Senj County is divided into 12 towns and municipalities:
- Town of Gospić (county seat)
- Town of Novalja
- Town of Otočac
- Town of Senj
- Municipality of Brinje
- Municipality of Donji Lapac
- Municipality of Karlobag
- Municipality of Lovinac
- Municipality of Perušić
- Municipality of Plitvička Jezera (Plitvice Lakes)
- Municipality of Udbina
- Municipality of Vrhovine
Demographics[change | change source]
|Source: Naselja i stanovništvo Republike Hrvatske 1857–2001, Croatian Bureau of Statistics, Zagreb, 2005|
Since the early 20th century, the county's population has been shrinking. As of the 2011 census, the county had 50,927 residents. The population density is 9.5/km2.
The Croatian State Bureau of Statistics estimated the population of the county to be 45,493 in 2017, and 45,184 in 2018.
Ethnic Croats are the majority. They are 84.15% of the population. Serbs are 13.65%. Serbs are the majority in the municipalities of Vrhovine, Donji Lapac, and Udbina.
In 1991, before the Croatian War of Independence started, Croats were 59.7% of the population and Serbs were 37%. The eastern part of the county was a majority Serbian area.
References[change | change source]
- ↑ "Sub-national HDI - Area Database - Global Data Lab". hdi.globaldatalab.org. Retrieved 2018-09-13.
- ↑ "PROCJENE STANOVNIŠTVA REPUBLIKE HRVATSKE U 2017./POPULATION ESTIMATE OF REPUBLIC OF CROATIA, 2017". www.dzs.hr. Retrieved 2019-06-13.
- ↑ "PROCJENE STANOVNIŠTVA REPUBLIKE HRVATSKE U 2018./POPULATION ESTIMATE OF REPUBLIC OF CROATIA, 2018". www.dzs.hr. Retrieved 2019-10-14.
Other websites[change | change source]
- Official website (in Croatian)