The seven books in the series have sold over 500 million copies across the world in over 70 languages, and is the best-selling book series of all time. All of them have been made into movies.
- 1 Plot
- 2 Books
- 3 Movies
- 4 Video games
- 5 Stage
- 6 Characters and actors of the movies
- 7 References
- 8 Other websites
Plot[change | change source]
Harry Potter is a boy who was born from two loving parents, Lily and James Potter. Harry, like his parents, is a wizard. When Harry was one year old, his parents were killed by a dark (evil) wizard named Lord Voldemort. Voldemort had heard a prophecy that his greatest enemy would be a boy that had the same exact description as Harry. It is later revealed that the prophecy also could have been Neville Longbottom. Voldemort fails to kill Harry and disappears. After the deaths of his parents, he was raised by his non-magical aunt (muggle), uncle, and cousin and they didn't treat him well. As a child, he did not know he was a wizard. He eventually discovers that there are many magical people, living secretly and hiding from non-wizards (known as "Muggles"). When Harry turned eleven, he received a letter inviting him to go to a boarding school called Hogwarts for young witches and wizards. Each book tells the story of one year of his life at the school. At school, he meets Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger, his two best friends, along with many other characters. Voldemort tries several times to return, before finally succeeding in the fourth book. The series revolves around Harry trying to defeat Voldemort for good.
There are seven books. A series of eight movies based on the novels has been made by Warner Bros. They started making the movies in 2001. The first one was released on November 16th 2001. The second, third, fourth, and fifth were released respectively in 2002, 2004, 2005 and 2007. The sixth movie, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, was released on July 7, 2009. The final movie was divided into two parts. The first part, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1, was released in late November, 2010. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 was released in July, 2011.
Books[change | change source]
- 1997 - Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone in the United States)
- 1998 - Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- 1999 - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- 2000 - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- 2003 - Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- 2005 - Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- 2007 - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Secondary books[change | change source]
- 2001 - Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- 2001 - Quidditch Through the Ages
- 2007 - The Tales of Beedle the Bard
Movies[change | change source]
- 2001 – Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
- 2002 – Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- 2004 – Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- 2005 – Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- 2007 – Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- 2009 – Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Spin-off movies[change | change source]
Video games[change | change source]
- 2001 - Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Released for PC, Mac, PS1, PS2, Xbox, GameCube, GBC and GBA)
- 2002 - Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Released for PC, Mac, PS1, PS2, Xbox, GameCube, GBC and GBA)
- 2004 - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Released for PC, PS2, Xbox, GameCube and GBA)
- 2005 - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Released for PC, PlayStation 2, Xbox, GameCube, PSP, Nintendo DS and GBA)
- 2007 - Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Released for PC, Mac, PS2, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, PSP, Nintendo DS and GBA)
- 2009 - Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Released for PC, Mac, PS2, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, PSP, Nintendo DS and Mobile)
Other games[change | change source]
- 2001 - Lego Creator: Harry Potter
- 2002 - Lego Creator: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- 2003 - Harry Potter: Quidditch World Cup
- 2010 - Lego Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- 2011 - Lego Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- 2011 - Pottermore
- 2012 - Wonderbook series
- 2012 - Harry Potter for Kinect
- 2012 - Book of Spells
- 2013 - Book of Potions
- 2015 - Lego Dimensions
- 2018 - Harry Potter: Wizards Unite
Stage[change | change source]
Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts I & II, is a play based on a new story by J.K Rowling, Jack Thorne, and John Tiffany. It is billed as being the "eighth story, nineteen years later." It stars Jamie Parker as Harry, Noma Dumezweni as Hermione, and Paul Thornley as Ron.
- "While Harry grapples with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs, his youngest son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted. As past and present fuse ominously, both father and son learn the uncomfortable truth: sometimes, darkness comes from unexpected places."
The play officially opened July 30, 2016 at the Palace Theatre in London.
Characters and actors of the movies[change | change source]
Main characters[change | change source]
- Harry Potter (Daniel Radcliffe): The hero of the stories. Harry is a special young wizard. Harry's parents, James and Lily Potter, were killed by Lord Voldemort (Tom Riddle) when he was a baby. He lives with and is raised by his Aunt Petunia, his mother's sister, and Uncle Vernon, along with their son Dudley for the duration of the series.
- Ron Weasley (Rupert Grint): Harry's best friend. Ron was born to Arthur and Molly Weasley, a large magical family, with five older brothers and one younger sister. He often helps Harry out on his many adventures, including the fight to defeat the evil Lord Voldemort.
- Hermione Granger (Emma Watson): Harry's other best friend. Hermione's parents are not wizards, but "Muggles" (non-magical people). She is the brightest student in a class. She also faces much prejudice for her muggle family from both students at school and Voldemort's followers, the Death Eaters.
- Albus Dumbledore: Headmaster at Hogwarts. His full name is "Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore". He is a very powerful wizard. Voldemort fears him. Dumbledore was played by Richard Harris in the first two movies. After Richard Harris's death, Michael Gambon took over the role. Albus Dumbledore is said to be gay by author J.K Rowling.
- Rubeus Hagrid (Robbie Coltrane): Hagrid is originally just the Groundskeeper at Hogwarts, but in the third book gets the position of teacher. He teaches "Care of Magical Creatures" from the third book until the seventh, when he leaves the school to escape the Death Eaters. He is a friend of Harry, Ron, and Hermione, and a "half-giant."
- Lord Voldemort: The main villain of the series. He is feared throughout the wizarding world, and is often referred to as "He Who Must Not Be Named", or as "You Know Who", as wizards believe naming him will somehow call him. Prior to his infamy he was known as Tom Marvolo Riddle. The part was played in different movies by Richard Bremmer, Christian Coulson, and Ralph Fiennes.
- Sirius Black: (Gary Oldman) Sirius Black was James Potter's best friend in school and before James' death. He was charged for the murder of another of James' friends, Peter Pettigrew. Sirius was innocent, but convicted anyway. In the third novel, the Prisoner of Azkaban, Sirius breaks out of prison (the wizarding prison is called Azkaban). He is Harry Potter's godfather. He is a major character in the fourth and fifth books, before his death at the end of the fifth book, the Order of the Phoenix.
- Severus Snape (Alan Rickman): Severus Snape was the Potions master at Hogwarts for the first five books. In the sixth book, he gets the position of Defence Against the Dark Arts professor. After the death of Dumbledore, Snape becomes headmaster. Throughout the books, Snape shows much bias for his own school house, Slytherin. He treats students from the other houses very badly.
- Draco Malfoy (Tom Felton): Draco Malfoy is a Slytherin student. In the first five books, he exists primarily as a foil (opposite) to Harry. In the sixth book, the Half-Blood Prince, he is ordered to kill Dumbledore but cannot bring himself to do it.
- Neville Longbottom
The Weasleys[change | change source]
|Arthur Weasley||Father of the Weasleys||Mark Williams||Works for the Ministry of Magic||nevel long bottom -||Molly Weasley||Mother of the Weasleys||Julie Walters||Busy mother of seven children|
|Bill Weasley||eldest son||Domhnall Gleeson||Cursebreaker for Gringotts Bank|
|Charlie Weasley||second eldest son||Alex Crockford||Works as a Dragon-tamer in Romania|
|Percy Weasley||third oldest son||Chris Rankin||Works for the Ministry of Magic|
|Fred Weasley||Fourth son
Older Weasley twin
|James Phelps||Owns the wizarding joke shop, left Hogwarts in the fifth book, "Order of the Phoenix."|
|George Weasley||Fifth son
Younger Weasley twin
|Oliver Phelps||Owns the wizarding joke shop, left Hogwarts in the fifth book, "Order of the Phoenix."|
|Ronald Weasley||Sixth son
||Rupert Grint||One of Harry's two closest friends at Hogwarts who helps him
|Ginny Weasley||Daughter, youngest||Bonnie Wright||The youngest of seven. Harry's girlfriend from the sixth book on.|
Teachers at Hogwarts[change | change source]
(Head of Gryffindor house)
(changing something into something else)
(Head of Slytherin house)
(brewing magical mixtures)
|Horace Slughorn||Jim Broadbent|
(Keeper of the Keys and Grounds at Hogwarts)
|Robbie Coltrane||Care of Magical Creatures|
(studying mystical creatures)
(Head of Ravenclaw house)
(making things happen)
(Head of Hufflepuff house)
(caring for magical plants)
|Sybill Trelawney||Emma Thompson||Divination|
(predicting the future)
|Madame Hooch||Zoe Wannamaker||Flying on broomsticks|
also: referee and teacher for Quidditch
|Quirinus Quirrel||Ian Hart||Defence Against the Dark Arts|
|Gilderoy Lockhart||Kenneth Branagh|
|Remus Lupin||David Thewlis|
|Alastor Moody (impersonated in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by Barty Crouch, Jr.)||Brendan Gleeson|
|Dolores Umbridge||Imelda Staunton|
|Severus Snape||Alan Rickman|
|Alecto Carrow||Suzanne Toase|
Other students[change | change source]
|Cho Chang||Ravenclaw||Katie Leung||Former girlfriend of Cedric Diggory. Member of "Dumbledore's Army".|
|Vincent Crabbe||Slytherin||Jamie Waylett||Draco's friend|
|Cedric Diggory||Hufflepuff||Robert Pattinson||Captain of the Hufflepuff Quidditch team. Took part in the Triwizard Tournament. Took Cho Chang to the Yule Ball. Killed by Voldemort's "Avada Kedavra" curse in the maze during the competition.|
|Gregory Goyle||Slytherin||Joshua Herdman||Draco's friend|
|Neville Longbottom||Gryffindor||Matthew Lewis||Harry's friend. Member of "Dumbledore's Army." Has a pet toad. Great in Herbology. Killed Voldemort's snake, Nagini, the sixth Horcrux, in the Final Battle, making it possible for Harry to finally kill Voldemort.|
|Luna Lovegood||Ravenclaw||Evanna Lynch||Harry's friend. She attends one of Professor Slughorn's 'Slug Club' parties with Harry in the Half-Blood Prince. She is strange, yet wise and people often find her company uncomfortable.|
|Susan Bones||Hufflepuff||Eleanor Columbus||She is a student we see in the first movie of Harry Potter. She is in Hufflepuff. Her grandparents have been killed by Voldemort.|
Death Eaters[change | change source]
|Yaxley||Peter Mullan||An undercover ministry worker in the Deathly Hallows.|
|Narcissa Malfoy||Helen McCrory||Husband and wife, parents to Draco Malfoy.|
|Lucius Malfoy||Jason Issacs|
|Pius Thicknesse||Guy Henry||Imperiused Minister of Magic|
|Peter Pettigrew||Timothy Spall||Peter ran away from the Death Eater race by becoming
a rat that is missing a toe. While a rat, he was Ron Weasley's
pet, Scabbers. In the 3rd book he was found out but escaped into the
welcoming arms of Voldemort. He is also called as Wormtail.
|Bellatrix Lestrange||Helena Bonham Carter||She is the sister of Narcissa Malfoy. She is a devoted follower of Voldemort and responsible for the death of Sirius Black.|
|Draco Malfoy||Tom Felton||Followed in his parent's footprints and became a Death Eater in his 6th year of school.|
|Severus Snape||Alan Rickman||Potions professor at Hogwarts and former Death Eater. He poses as a Death Eater to spy on Voldemort for Dumbledore.|
Other characters[change | change source]
- Vernon Dursley (played by Richard Griffiths) is the uncle of Harry Potter. He usually treats Harry badly.
- Petunia Dursley is Vernon's wife and Harry's aunt. Like Vernon, she usually treats Harry badly.
- Dobby is a house-elf who used to belong to the Malfoy family. Unlike other house-elves, Dobby wishes to be free.
- Merope is the descendant of Salazar Slytherin and is also the mother of Lord Voldemort.
- Michael Corner is Ginny's boyfriend who makes Harry jealous in the later books.
- Madame Rosmerta is the owner of 'The Three Broomsticks', the pub where butterbeer is often served.
- Madame Malkins is the owner of the wizard robes shop.
- Mr Ollivander Wandmaker, owner of Ollivanders, was taken away by the Death Eaters, but is broken out of his cell by Dobby and Harry Potter.
- Rita Skeeter Reporter for the Daily Prophet, author of The Life and Lies of Albus Dumbledore, Animagus.
- Stanley Shunpike is the conductor of the Knight Bus, emergency transport for the stranded witch or wizard.
References[change | change source]
- "New details on Cursed Child, the 'eighth Harry Potter story'". www.pottermore.com. Retrieved 16 March 2016.
- "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child". Retrieved 16 March 2016.
- "JK Rowling outs Dumbledore as gay".
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Harry Potter books.|
|The English Wikibook Muggles' Guide to Harry Potter has more information on:|
Official sites[change | change source]
- J.K. Rowling's personal website
- All you need to know about Harry Potter
- Official Harry Potter movies website (Warner Bros.)
- Harry Potter on Bloomsbury.com (International publisher)
- Harry Potter on Scholastic.com (US publisher)
- Amazon.com Official Harry Potter Store
- Harry Potter on Raincoast.com (Canadian publisher)