|Area||904.34 km² (349 sq mi)|
|Population||401,041 (2014) |
|Density||443 /km² (1,147 /sq mi)|
|District||24 February 1843|
|- summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
The district is to the southwest of the country. It iwas the second largest district of the three districts, with an area of 904.34 km2 (349.2 sq mi). It was the district with more people living in it with a population, in 2014, of 401,041 inhabitants and a population density of 443.5 inhabitants/km².
History[change | change source]
When the districts were created on 24 February 1843, Luxembourg was one of the three of the country.
On 30 May 1857, the Mersch canton was taken from the Luxembourg district to made part of the new district of Mersch. on 4 May 1867, the new district was abolished and the Mersch canton was made again a part of the Luxembourg district.
Geography[change | change source]
The district of Luxembourg is bordered to the north by the Diekirch district, to the east by the Grevenmacher district, to the south by France (the Meurthe-et-Moselle and Moselle départements) and to the west by Belgium (the Belgian province of Luxembourg).
Composition[change | change source]
The Luxembourg district has 4 cantons and 46 communes.
Cantons and their communes[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to District of Luxembourg.|
- "Population by canton and municipality 1821 - 2014". Statistics Portal - Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. Retrieved 5 May 2014.
- "Loi du 2 septembre 2015 portant abolition des districts" (PDF) (in French). Service central de législation. Retrieved 20 May 2016.
- (French)/(German) "Mémorial A, 1843, No. 17" (PDF). Service central de législation. p. 45. Retrieved 5 May 2014.
- (French)/(German) "Mémorial A, 1857, No. 16" (PDF). Service central de législation. p. 5. Retrieved 5 May 2014.
- (French)/(German) "Mémorial A, 1867, No. 17" (PDF). Service central de législation. p. 1. Retrieved 5 May 2014.
- (French) "Mémorial A, 2011, No. 110" (PDF). Service central de législation. Retrieved 5 May 2014.
- "Surface area of the cantons and municipalities". Statistics Portal - Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. Retrieved 5 May 2014.